Maldives on MV Southern Cross - feedback?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Vie

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Has anyone recently been to the Maldives with MV Southern Cross?

Thinking of going and wondering whether this is good choice...

Feedback?

Opinions?

The link below takes you to some boat info & pix.

Southern Cross

A couple of sites that i found made reference to 'full charter only'.

i'd be interested to learn if this is correct, as i'm thinking of a Maldives liveaboard in Oct/Nov.

The link below takes you to some boat info & pix.

Southern Cross

A couple of sites that i found made reference to 'full charter only'.

i'd be interested to learn if this is correct, as i'm thinking of a Maldives liveaboard in Oct/Nov.
thanks for the info mantajohn,

i spoke to Alex and he sounds like a nice chap. He says we can arrive and hop onboard the night before and just sail off! sounds personalised so am making more enquiries for 19-26Dec 2009 Xmas diving! its either that or Stingray ..i hear the EagleRay is great but too much aircon onboard!

Stingray is good . The boat is a bit old. So everything is very simple ..no Luxury..Always 2 guides are there with you...2 groups at least..The diving is really good. The guides know what they are doing.

For Southern Cross i dont know anything about them. sorry

I was on Southern Cross during the Easter this year. The boat is run by a local Maldivian, called Hussan and an European lady called Judy. Both are Instructors and DMs.

I understand the boat is chartered and it can accommodate around 20 divers. Usually all divers are divided into two groups and each group (8-10 divers) led by either Hussan and Judy.

The boat age is 10+years but it's kept in good condition. It's pretty large (with a jaccuzi) and stable so when the boat crosses atolls, you won't feel it's shaky. I would say the boat is neat and tidy and it's sufficiently comfortable for diving. Food is fine (not curry or spicy everything). Fishing at night is allowed.

In my trip, I was so lucky enough to encounter hundreds of devil rays migrating in 1 dive, each group has like 80 rays or so. So magnificent! Usual stuff like manta, white tips, napoleon wrasse, but no whale shark, unfortunately.

Let me know if you need more in detail.

boat is less than 10 years old. I was on maiden trip that was 2002. used to be run by Japanese guy. Hassan told me that they're going to put SC on dry doc and have her refurbish....when saw him at ADEX..... but don't know if it has been done.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom