Maldives - Meeru

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

finchbee

Registered
Reaction score
My wife and I are off to Meeru (Meerenfushi)in a couple of weeks. Has anyone been ? Got any comments on the island and diving ?

Been there once in 2001. Nice island, one of the larger in the Maldives. Close to Male, so no reason to book a waterplane.

WHen we were there, different types/qualities of bungalows were available. Not sure what has changed since and I can't exactly remember where the good ones were located (although the price is probably a good indicator). Food was good.

Diving is good, although no house reef. Even to go snorkeling you need a boat trip.

Deur

Well got back yesterday and had an excellent holiday !!

Meeru IMHO is not as a nice as Kuredu but still very good. Deur you were spot on !!

Diving was good after 3 dives which were good was disappointed as still not seen any sharks but on dive 4 saw 4 White Tips

Dive 5 and 6 were simply awesome. Did a 2 tank boat and on dive 1 saw 4 Mantas. Dive 2 Saw 10 mantas which swam over me about 2m away !! Saw more white tips including one swimming past us

All in all another Great experience of diving, only disappointment is that the whale shark spotted previouslu was not there on our dives

I hope that everything I post here turns out to be a one-off mistake. But I wish someone had warned me about that place.

Hell hole experience. Take your video recorder. We had a foul time there and by all accounts some other people had worse. This was a stop over at the start of this year.

We had one of the "smart" over-the-water bungalows. The bathroom had green mould all up the wall and litter on the floor, the sheets looked suspiciously used, the cockroaches running around the bedroom floor were very large. (Yes, in the tropics I expect cockroaches as the norm - but not on steroids) The staff were unhelpful and always had their hands out for a tip.

Others we were travelling with had the "ordinary" rooms in the blocks and were using words like "prison cell".

We had an early departure and we were told that breakfast had been arranged. Yes, they did put out some cornflakes at the time at which we had to leave.

Didn't dive there so can't say about diving.

Yes - we did take the time to complain - but whether or not it will have any effect - I doubt. Yes we did take videos. I think the problem is that the place is too large and the management has lost the plot. You will find "pockets" of good - so I wish you good luck. I genuinely hope that no-one has a similar experience to ourselves.

Back
Top Bottom