Maldives liveaboard help request

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Iralub

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I've been thinking of doing a liveaboard in the Maldives around July-August. I know it is not the peak season, but I'm really interested in seeing the big life like Mantas or whale sharks and understand it is a good time for those. Is that right? Or is it more likely that I'll get some really bad weather for my trouble and that is it?

I've been looking at the Aggressor boat and also Carpe Vita. Has anyone got experience with those boats? I'm not looking for luxury cabins, etc, am more interested in smaller dive groups, good safety practices and good dive crew. I've only got about 75 dives, so safety and ability to chose suitable sites underwater is more important than luxury surroundings above :)

Does anyone have any advice?

Carpe Vita is awesome. Went in January 2013 and the diving was fantastic. You say you don't need luxury, but you will definitely get it with that boat and crew.

Did you book your trip for the Maldives? I'm looking to travel July/aug/sep and looking for the big stuff as well. HOwever, I hear the corals are great in the south.

I've been on Carpe Vita twice, one seven day back toback trip and a ten day southern excursion. Unfortunately,I can't tell you what it is like in the summer months but as ronscuba said, the boat will spoil you! I'll be back agai at the end of this year.

Hmm, that's a pretty overwhelming vote for carpe vita. Thanks everyone

If you research and compare the Maldives Aggressor vs the Carpe Vita, there is no comparison. The Carpe Vita buries the Aggressor. Take a look at the pictures. The Carpe Vita cabins are huge. The Aggressor is all bunk beds.

I believe the Aggressor diving is done from a tender, but I don't know the specs on that tender. Carpe Vita tender is not your typical inflatable dive tender. It's a full service 60 ft. boat with bathroom, shower, air/nitrox compressors and all your dive gear stays on the tender.

Speaking of nitrox. 2 crew members are assigned to handle nitrox. 1 person walks around, measures the nitrox while you witness. 2nd person is right behind him with the nitrox sign off sheet where you write the % and initial. They walk around the whole boat seeing each nitrox diver doing the above.

I book a number of charters in the Maldives and the Carpe Vita is far and above the favorite. The sister ship, Carpe Diem, is nearly identical but offers 1 less dive per day. I also offer the ISIS Cruiser (no affiliation with Middle East events), the Aggressor, and the Maavahi, with others available. I also discount the Carpe Vita when possible. That said there are quite a number of charters available in the Maldives.

The Carpe Vita does some cruises dedicated to surfers. It may be that the time you're looking at going is surf's up time. Just sayin'. You might not want to wait too long to book. AND I'll happily give Liquid Diving Adventures a whole hearted recommendation!!

I was on the Manthiri in August 2014. My LDS owner was on the trip with us and he is now the North American rep for Manthiri....he has been on this boat himself something like 14 times and we had multiple repeat guests on the trip. With it being August, we did sort of a "best of both worlds" itinerary, doing some diving in both the north and south. We saw a ton of mantas up very close and personal and plenty of sharks as well. Whale sharks - only 1 while snorkeling and not up close...but WS are always hit or miss.

Manthiri is a good boat with a fantastic crew....and only room for 12 divers (we had 11). Much more of an intimate experience than larger boats. It is probably worth saying that with the LDS owner on the boat with us.....it's reasonable to expect that we may have received more attentive service than if he wasn't there......but regardless, loved the crew, loved the DMs, very safety conscious, great briefings, almost all dives were hot drops from the Dhoni (not the liveaboard mothership).....and they always dropped us exactly as they had outlined during briefings.

Here is a link to my report/video from last August - send me a PM if you have any specific questions. Loved the Maldives dive experience.

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/ma...ives-liveaboard-paradise-aboard-manthiri.html

Chris

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom