Maldives, Lhaviyani Atoll, Trip Report

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bathbiggles1

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I'll be brief:

We were based in Kuredu and used the resident dive operator Pro Divers. The Lhaviyani Atoll is 45 minutes by seaplane north of the Capital Male.

If there is a better appointed, better organised coastal dive centre anywhere in the world I'd be interested to know about it. Pro Divers operated up to 10 boats a day with 10-15 instructors speaking 5 languages and with 40+ fantastic dive sites within 90minutes ride. Their IT systems kept everyone moving through their itineraries throughout the week and they were very accomodating on changes and requests. Their equipment wetroom was the best planned I've ever seen and made it a pleasure to de-kit and clean up. Their staff were professional and safety conscious.

Not cheap though! Basically $39 per dive WITHOUT the boat ride and using your own kit. Everything else was extra and the boats were $10 single and $16 for a two tank dive (so a total of $94 for a two dive morning). There were package discounts but NOT off the boat trips. This was bizarre since the owners of the boats and the dive centre were essentially the same people.

I did 22 dives in 10 days. Most were drift dives due to the tide forcing current in and out of the Atoll. Difficult to get deeper than 30m anywhere but no need either.

Regularly saw Manta including one encounter on a cleaning station for 30 minutes where I was basically within touching distance the whole time.

Only one site with sharks - a dozen grey reefs on Kuredu Express - a high octane drift at a channel entrance.

Other highlights included large Stingrays, Eagle Rays, Tuna, Barracuda, Dolphins and Turtles. Lots of great small stuff as well. The coral has suffered though and is not of the same healthy standard as parts of say the southern Red Sea or Similans.

All in all a great holiday diving experience with loads of variation and colour.

Kuredu itself though is a tacky holiday camp masquerading as a natural Maldivian island. It was expensive and the resort service was poor. Not surprising really since most of the staff are imported from Bangladesh or India and have no stake in the place. Give me the natural cultures of western Thailand or Indonesia any day.

Cheers

thanks bathbiggles for the report... Sorry to hear the resort wasn't that good. Too bad, kind of looks nice from their website

kur2.jpg
http://www.prodivers.com/images/jpg/kur2.jpg
kur1.jpg

WOW...impressive dive trip report...I plan there coming January...thanks you for your sharing...any good recommend?

bathbiggles1:
Kuredu itself though is a tacky holiday camp masquerading as a natural Maldivian island. It was expensive and the resort service was poor. Not surprising really since most of the staff are imported from Bangladesh or India and have no stake in the place. Give me the natural cultures of western Thailand or Indonesia any day.

Cheers
Sorry hear about that, how the dive operator?

We booked on the Baani explorer for the end of Jan 07. I can't wait. We are trying to decided between a camera or straight video

Pakman

Yeah.......don't be fooled by the pictures. I'm sure the island was once a beautiful natural place but now it's been completely spoiled by the owners.They are, at the same time forcing up prices to insulting levels and watering down the service to match a cheap holiday camp. I am sure there are much better islands than this.

Jason - I think you'll find the first few paragraphs tell how highly I regarded the dive operation ProDivers.

And if you are staying on that Island, I suggest you dive the sites: Kuredu Express and Tinga Giri (Manta cleaning station).

Cheers

Can see where you are coming from in regards of the resort, but I think you have to take into account this is one of the cheaper resort (at least in the Maldives). Also, I think the feel depends a lot on which bungalow you have. I spent 10 days there in 2002 (so maybe things have changed), in a bungalow at a good spot. Restaurants are huge, but that is not strange considering the size of the island.

The split in price for dives and boat trips is normal in the Maldives. I was told that this was because dhonis are not owned by the dive-op but by locals. Dive-op is only passing on the money.

Can only agree with your coments on Prodivers, if you want to dive with them and enjoy a better island have a look at Komandoo. Close to Kuredu, so same dive sites (and yes, Kuredu Express is amazing, even the 5th time), but better quality (which unfortunately also means more expensive). Resort is a lot smaller so most days only 1 boat going out each morning/afternoon.

Deur

bathbiggles1:

And if you are staying on that Island, I suggest you dive the sites: Kuredu Express and Tinga Giri (Manta cleaning station).

Cheers

Thanks you for your infomation:coffee:

Deur

Yes all fair points - thanks.

However in the case of Kuredu the boats are owned by the resort who are also major shareholders of the dive centre. The crew are employed separately by the dive centre and have no ownership of the boats themselves.

I understand the price for the boat is separate ( althoug this is not necessary) but dive packages of say 5 or more do not attract boat discounts. This is really just sharp practice as the island owners control it all.

lemurs2:
We booked on the Baani explorer for the end of Jan 07. I can't wait. We are trying to decided between a camera or straight video
We're on Baani explorer in Nov '04. The crew was wonderful and the DM was really great. We didn't see any whale sharks during the dive so as we were cruising back to Male, the guys started to look out for whale sharks and found one... we jumped in and snorkelled with it. It was amazing.

Have fun!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom