Malaria risk in Sabah ??????

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Toff86

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hi Guys

I will be in Saba/Sipadan islands for two weeks from the end of Jan next year. This is part of a RTW trip so i have had all the recommended jabs, the only concern is Malaria is this area. My doctor has recommended i take Malarone for the duration of my stay, was just wondering if anyone else has taken anti Malaria drugs whilst traveling through Saba and also if there particular drugs will affect me Scuba diving (I’ve heard some anti malaria drugs can have side effects that can stop you from diving).

Any info on the above would be great, also to lighten the mood a top tip for traveling in this region or something fun to do would be great.

Cheers guys

I will be in Saba/Sipadan islands for two weeks from the end of Jan next year. This is part of a RTW trip so i have had all the recommended jabs, the only concern is Malaria is this area. My doctor has recommended i take Malarone for the duration of my stay, was just wondering if anyone else has taken anti Malaria drugs whilst traveling through Saba and also if there particular drugs will affect me Scuba diving (I’ve heard some anti malaria drugs can have side effects that can stop you from diving).

When I stay Sipadan Water Village in January 2 year ago, I felt NO RISK of Malaria. Please check health information and Malaria map.
Health Information for Malaysia | CDC Travelers' Health
CDC Malaria Map Application

And... I think you had better take stomach medicine. Food served at SWV was heavy on my stomach.

I had Lariam with me, as a standby (absolute NO diving while taking), but first I did a 4 weeks land tour. I stayed at Kapalai which has no island so it wouldn't have been necessary, if I dived only there (really no mosquitos). This was 2 years ago.

I had no need for Lariam (luckily), but I prefer being on the safe side. But you are in Sabah during the monsoon season, so I would listen to a qualified person like your doctor. I have seen pictures how much water comes down in January (in the jungle, Uncle Tan), around 6m difference. oh and take care, some people in Sabah tell you, there is no malaria, which is not true.

My advise: Listen to your doctor (who studied some years for such things to know) or if you don't want to take it, bring it with you. the next hospital is a long ride away!

finally, have fun!

Last edited:
Hi Guys

Any info on the above would be great, also to lighten the mood a top tip for traveling in this region or something fun to do would be great.

Cheers guys
No need to take any tabletts against malaria, seriously you will get more chance to get sick from the tablettes than malaria as they are powerfule ones. Haven't heard of any malaria risks when I was there in april.

Doctors from back home will give a advice based for the general area there. They don't know any specifics though.

If possible, get in contact with a local dive op or a GP there, maybe via a dive op, and check with them.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom