Malaria in Bunaken, North Sulawesi

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You can find mosquito repellent easily in Manado even is small shop; just ask for "anti nyamuk" lotion or specific product trade name available locally.
According to local consumer voice website - the best 5 are: Zwitsal, Soffel, Lavenda, Dee-Dee and Autan. Autan is the most popular, powerfull but not for sensitive skin.

Thanks for the advice Wisnu.

Just another question for you or the others on here that have to Manado:

What sort of medical services are available in Manado? I am guessing there would be doctors, and probably a hospital? If you just wanted to see a doctor for something not too serious would it be easy to get an appointment?

What sort of medical services are available in Manado? I am guessing there would be doctors, and probably a hospital? If you just wanted to see a doctor for something not too serious would it be easy to get an appointment?

There's a hospital and there are clinics. There's even a recompression chamber in Manado.
Still, if you can avoid using any of those services than that is much preferred. If you catch a cold, scratch your leg or sprain your ankle visiting a local medical facility probably won't do you too much harm. For anything more serious take a plane to Singapore....
:D

Also turn over and shake shoes and boots before putting them on (especially when camping in the Southwestern part of the USA where there are plenty of scorpions who love to hide in shoes and boots)

Hehehe

There was a small toad in my shoe this morning.. almost squished him

There's a hospital and there are clinics. There's even a recompression chamber in Manado.
Still, if you can avoid using any of those services than that is much preferred. If you catch a cold, scratch your leg or sprain your ankle visiting a local medical facility probably won't do you too much harm. For anything more serious take a plane to Singapore....

But, more beautiful nurse in Manado :wink:

But, more beautiful nurse in Manado :wink:

Hmmmm...
You're probably right; Manado nurses are very nice and have great smiles.
If I got really sick in North Sulawesi I could maybe ask a local nurse to come with me to Singapore?

I was in Lembeh and Raja in October. I started taking Doxycycline a few days before going into Raja. The third day I got deathly ILL....it did not feel like food poisoning plus I was taking Doxy...Max Ammer (owner of Sorido Resort) came to see how I was doing in the afternoon. He told me I had Sun Poisoning and I would be OK the next day. I told him I have been near or on the equator several times before and never had a problem. He said you are on the Eq now and asked if I was taking anything....I stopped taking Doxy and was 100% the next day. Max said the best protection is Deet and if you do get Malaria you will take the same meds to cure it. When I go back I asked my Doctor how she would treat that type of Malaria....she said the same thing as Max.....Cover yourself with Deet in the AM and PM.....and go diving!....you do not want to lose a day of diving in that area like I did!

I have taken Doxy on a couple of previous trips without any problems at all. In fact the 30 or so people I was travelling with were all using Doxy and not one of them had a problem. I guess you have just been unlucky. It is a pity if you react like that to Doxy since Larium is not a good alternative for someone who dives.

Malarone is less problematic than Doxycycline or Larium. I've taken it the past four or five years without side effect. (I'm allergic to tetracycline so can't risk Doxy.)

It's worth rememberin that the calculus for expats or locals in taking anti-malarials is different than that for a visitor. These drugs can be taken as prophylaxis only for short periods of time and so are not an option for prolonged exposure. From my point of view the only downside to taking Malarone is cost, so I choose to use it for even if the risk of contraction is slight.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom