Malapascua, Sipilay and Donsol in two weeks?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Pepperx2

New
Reaction score
I´m flying to Philippines in the end on March (to Cebu or Manila). It´s going to be my first time there and I only have two weeks time. I would like to visit Malapascua, Sipilay and Donsol and I´m asking now does it sound realistic to you? Or what if I leave out Sipilay, will I still be spending all my time travelling from one place to another? Does anyone know what would be the fastest way to Donsol from Malapascua or Cebu? I´ve been planning to fly to Cebu but I can also fly first to Manila and from Cebu back home if it makes more sense...
I would be gratefull for all advice.

Hi Pepper,

My immediate reaction is definitely that those 3 places are too far apart to visit them all in 2 weeks, and not feel rushed. All involve quite a bit of travel to get to; and I'd say you'll enjoy the trip more sticking to two destinations.

I'm not sure the fastest way from Malapascua to Donsol, but will ask around as I know a few people working here come from that area. I imagine there is a boat which heads north, saving you the return trip to Cebu and a flight.

What are you mainly looking for on your trip? Whalesharks and Threshers I guess? Sipalay is beautiful but the area is very quite and diving not that spectacular in my view.

Good luck with it and enjoy the trip...let me know when you're in Malapascua and we'll be happy to take care of you.

Matt.

I agree with Matt. I'd do Malapascua for a week, then go to Donsol for 3 days and then head to Anilao for 4 days. I'd cut out Sipalay.

Just curious how you chose Sipalay? If you're looking for a white sand beach and you're not satisfied with Malapascua, you can head over to Bantayan Island.

Hope that helps.

Thank you for your advice! After hearing all that, I think I'll leave Sipalay out. I'm not sure why I really wanted to go there in the first place. Someone just recommended that place once for diving and it sounded nice. But it seems like the Philippines is full of fantastic diving destinations.

Yes, I would very much like to see threshers and whale sharks. My last diving trip was to Bunaken and Lembeh in Indonesia and there were lots of nice macro diving. So even though I know that Philippines is probably the best macro diving destination in the world, I would like to see this time something "bigger" as well.
I´m travelling with a friend who doesn't dive. So there should be at least a nice beach around for her to spend her time, so maybe we will stay in Malapascua for a little longer. It sounds like a great place. I know that my friend would like to do some hiking as well. So I've tried to look for a place to do nice hiking for a day somewhere on our way.
It would be wonderfull Matt if you can find out how to get to Donsol from Malapascua, so I could set the dates and timetables and really plan our trip!

Maria

If you want to do hiking, Donsol is about an hour away from Legaspi. Mount Mayon Volcano is there and you can hike around the lookout (assuming it isn't erupting). Alternatively, if you include Anilao into your itinerary, you can take a day to stop by Taal volcano and hike to the cliff (however, you normally go by horseback since the trail is dusty). But pretty much none of the resorts have beaches in Anilao (rocky shore).

Your idea of extending in Malapascua is a good idea. Has diving and beautiful white sand beaches for your friend. I can also vouch for going with Evolution Diving (Matt's operation) for your stay at Malapascua (I'm not associated with his business but have patronized his services before).

Hope that helps.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom