Malapascua + Panglao (Balicasag)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Cumbo

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
We're (me + girlfriend, both ~30 yrs) flying to Cebu on 9 May and will depart on 20 May. We have booked accommodation on Malapascua from 10 May till 16 May. After Malapascua, we haven't booked anything else, apart from the departure flight.
- can anyone recommend a dive op @ Malapascua? We're staying at Ocean Vida Resort. A friend recommended Thresher Shark Divers. We are Nitrox certified and want to dive with Nitrox.
- Is Panglao/Balicasag a nice place with good beaches and diving or should we go somewhere else? Note, that we're flying on the 20th, so it can't be too far. Any recommendations for accommodation/dive ops @ Panglao/Balicasag?
- We were also thinking of going to check out the chocolate hills from Panglao Island. Should we prebook a tour or how does it work?

Haven't done Malapascua yet, but I'm booked in with Evolution. Both Matt Reed and David Joyce are active members here, they'll thoroughly answer all of your questions regarding their top notch operation. Reviews here and elsewhere show that they're doing a great job for both rec and tech divers alike.

My review of Panglao - http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/philippine-paradise-divers/393846-panglao-notes-great-trip.html

In short, Isis is nice digs on Alona. Don't worry about booking land tours in advance, the guides are going to hassle you every moment day and night from the time you step foot on the beach until you depart. Wonderful place! I'll be backup someday, but I got some fresh PI exploring to do first.

I dived with the on site Sea Explorers and cannot recommend them highly enough. It is also nice if you can to dive with the outfit you are staying in as this is good for meeting people. TED seemed very very busy. Sea exploreres was also busy but there were lots of guides who were awesome , lovely and kind and friendly above and below water. They were nearly all local , born on the island and knew the sites backwards. You will love Malapascua , it's a beautiful island and the " thresher shark show " at 5 30 am is awesome.

Hi Cumbo,

As above, you are going to love Malapascua! I think you'll find that whoever you choose you'll have a great time. Sea Ex is obviously located right there on site, TSD and Evolution would mean a few minutes walk in the morning. So it's really up to you.

Feel free to let me know if you have any questions.

Enjoy,

Matt.

For a dive op Evolution is top tier. they can/will take you on dives at any level. I've done a few 45m dives w/ Matt and was very happy at with the dive planning and the safety in the water. I look forward to returning and doing some deeper dives with him the next time I'm back in the Philippines, get the He and your rebreather ready Matt :)

I stayed on Balicasag Island, I'd give it a qualified recommendation. The dives are right there, the staff is surprisingly good (exceptional when you find out it's government owned), clean and reasonably well maintained. The food gets to be a bit ho hum after a few days, and it's enforced slow time. Your there to dive, and hang out. If you want to do things outside of that, you'll be disappointed. The dive sites are very nice, with some large schools of jacks. Lot's of turtles, good marine life diversity. For a bit extra they can run the boat a longer distance and it's likely you can swim with the whale sharks.

Transit between the two locations won't be fun, it's a bit of a haul from Malapascua to Cebu airport and again a bit of a hassle getting from the airport to where the boats leave to get to Balicasag. I know Matt can arrange the transfer to Cebu, and the Balicasag Resort can organize from the airport at their end.

As everyone has mentioned already you are in good hands with Evolution, TSD or Sea Explorers on Malapascua. I've been diving with TSD for years. Remember it is a groggy walk in the early morning when you might need to be on the boat by 5am...Do check out the good food on the island. There is a very good Italian place there that you must have at least one dinner at.

I really like Panglao Island for diving but I've always stayed near Alona beach. I actually like the dives along Alona better than Balicasag but perhaps thats just my luck. You can find accomodation at nearly any price there. I recommend Philippine Fun Divers on Alona. Ask them to show you the mushroom coral pipefish - by the way they were on Monad Shoal where the threshers are but hardly anyone pays attention to them - perhaps on the manta dive in the afternoon?

You should have a great time. I've done the location combination a number of times but usually in a 2-1/2 week time frame.

Are there other differences between Malapascua dive ops? Size of groups? Nitrox? Limited dive times? Prize? GREAT GUIDES WITH AMAZING EYES FOR MACRO? :wink: Other things?

Haven't done Malapascua yet, but I'm booked in with Evolution. Both Matt Reed and David Joyce are active members here, they'll thoroughly answer all of your questions regarding their top notch operation. Reviews here and elsewhere show that they're doing a great job for both rec and tech divers alike.

My review of Panglao - http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/philippine-paradise-divers/393846-panglao-notes-great-trip.html

In short, Isis is nice digs on Alona. Don't worry about booking land tours in advance, the guides are going to hassle you every moment day and night from the time you step foot on the beach until you depart. Wonderful place! I'll be backup someday, but I got some fresh PI exploring to do first.

Thanks for the nice review, that was really helpful!

Hi Cumbo,

As above, you are going to love Malapascua! I think you'll find that whoever you choose you'll have a great time. Sea Ex is obviously located right there on site, TSD and Evolution would mean a few minutes walk in the morning. So it's really up to you.

Feel free to let me know if you have any questions.

Enjoy,

Matt.

I've sent you pm.:cool2:

For a dive op Evolution is top tier. they can/will take you on dives at any level. I've done a few 45m dives w/ Matt and was very happy at with the dive planning and the safety in the water. I look forward to returning and doing some deeper dives with him the next time I'm back in the Philippines, get the He and your rebreather ready Matt :)

I stayed on Balicasag Island, I'd give it a qualified recommendation. The dives are right there, the staff is surprisingly good (exceptional when you find out it's government owned), clean and reasonably well maintained. The food gets to be a bit ho hum after a few days, and it's enforced slow time. Your there to dive, and hang out. If you want to do things outside of that, you'll be disappointed. The dive sites are very nice, with some large schools of jacks. Lot's of turtles, good marine life diversity. For a bit extra they can run the boat a longer distance and it's likely you can swim with the whale sharks.

Transit between the two locations won't be fun, it's a bit of a haul from Malapascua to Cebu airport and again a bit of a hassle getting from the airport to where the boats leave to get to Balicasag. I know Matt can arrange the transfer to Cebu, and the Balicasag Resort can organize from the airport at their end.

We talked about it and decided we'd stay on Panglao instead of Balicasag. That way, we can go see the chocolate hills etc. They do day trips from Panglao to Balicasag, right? And the boat ride isn't that bad?

We were thinking about taking a boat from Cebu to Tagbilaran.

As everyone has mentioned already you are in good hands with Evolution, TSD or Sea Explorers on Malapascua. I've been diving with TSD for years. Remember it is a groggy walk in the early morning when you might need to be on the boat by 5am...Do check out the good food on the island. There is a very good Italian place there that you must have at least one dinner at.

I really like Panglao Island for diving but I've always stayed near Alona beach. I actually like the dives along Alona better than Balicasag but perhaps thats just my luck. You can find accomodation at nearly any price there. I recommend Philippine Fun Divers on Alona. Ask them to show you the mushroom coral pipefish - by the way they were on Monad Shoal where the threshers are but hardly anyone pays attention to them - perhaps on the manta dive in the afternoon?

You should have a great time. I've done the location combination a number of times but usually in a 2-1/2 week time frame.

Groggy = ~how many meters? :wink: Is Evolution and TSD right next to each other?

Philippine Fun Divers do not have accommodation, do they?

I've sent you pm.:cool2:

I've sent you an email :D

Groggy = ~how many meters? :wink: Is Evolution and TSD right next to each other?

TSD is one way Evolution the other...choices, choices!

I think PFD is together with Lost Horizon resort.

Matt.

PFD is housed at the Lost Horizon Resort but divers stay wherever they like in the Alona area. They helped me find a place when I first dived with them (budget fan room type place) and they arrange it for me when I find time to dive with them on subsequent trips. It is pretty relaxed diving with most dives not starting until 8 or 9 am and 3-4 dives a day including night dive if you are up for it. Just depends on how many divers they have at the time. I highly recommend night dives almost wherever you may go. They do usually go out to Balicasag every other day - only takes a half hour. The worst thing I can say about the Lost Horizon resort is that it is owned by an older American who has the music system playing old country and Beattles songs all day then near the weekend they get a Philippino live cover band playing old 60s crooner songs in the evening;-) you know like Burt Bacharach music...sigh.

---------- Post added April 4th, 2013 at 01:38 AM ----------

Are there other differences between Malapascua dive ops? Size of groups? Nitrox? Limited dive times? Prize? GREAT GUIDES WITH AMAZING EYES FOR MACRO? :wink: Other things??

Yes, the dive ops all have their differences. Mostly it's the personality of the owners and staff and how you interact with them. Are you assertive or do you expect people to read your mind. I've dived with TSD for years and dived with Sea Explorers once. If I didn't dive with TSD my second choice would be Evolution. Some of the nice dives are 30-45 minute boat ride away from Malapascua Island. If an operation does not have enough divers that are interested in signing up for those dives you might not get the opportunity unless you bring your own group. That being said I think they all have fine guides who know what divers want to see and what you should take a look at whether you know it or not.

TSD - larger operation. Owners and on hands managers are Brits. That sets the tone for me - I like my humor extra dry. Usually there is a fairly eclectic mix of divers from all parts internationally. They have a good bar and restaurant up a story up away from mosquitos.
Sea Explorer - larger operation. i believe Swiss or German owned. they cater to that market. I have a German background but I don't want to be on a boat full of us...;-)
Evolution - Smaller operation. I visited the last time I was on the island - they had a young group of crazy Canadians doing shots at the bar. They seem to get the hodgepodge divers as well. Got some good limited menu food and fresh bread.

There are a couple of other operations on the Island I could trust - Exotic (one of the oldest establishments on Malapascua) and Seaquest (looked like a decent operation when I was there last but no other information on them). Places keep changing on the Island - last time I was there was May of 2012.

Back
Top Bottom