Malapascua on Animal Channel...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

pakman

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Edit: oops its Animal Planet (not Animal Channel)...

Decided to be a home body tonight and surprised to see that an Episode of Monty Halls Great Ocean Adventures on the Thresher Sharks of Malapascua Island was showing on Animal Planet Channel. Nice piece on the diving around Malapascua with a few plugs for Exotic Island Dive Resort, its owner, and their efforts to build artificial reefs... Gutsy Tuason gets an interview, gets to show off some of his thresher shark photos, and takes Monty to Monad for the threshers. I guess this originally aired in the UK on Channel 5 in Feb 2007 (Season #2).

Great seeing the PI in the spotlight. Even good ol Ton Ton, the excellent guide at Exotica who dove with me, got a lot of screen time and mentioned by name a number of times (good on ya Ton Ton!). They also covered Gato Island - a little spiffy production editing and the diving looked a lot better than what i remembered... :wink:

Only beef I had was when I was diving in Malapascua, I was always told we weren't allowed to use strobes on the Thresher Dives. The production team appeared not to be using lights for the thresher footage, but there is Gutsy in the background firing two strobes off at the threshers...!! :rofl3: (not that it mattered in my case as they were too far off :p) I'm sure the video production team appreciated that... :mooner: If I get back to Malapascua, I'm sure to give Ton Ton a ribbing about that.

Maybe Animal Planet will replay it in the region over the next couple of weeks.

A bit of Monty's comments on that episode can be found here.
WOW Philippines :: Specials : Media Invitation Releases

edit: Just took a look at Animal Planet's regional schedule and this episode will re-air at 3pm (HK/Sin/ Manila time) next Sat (Jan 12)

Pakman, thanks for the heads-up. Sadly, I do not have cable TV service at home so I won't be able to see the show. However, I am glad that some wonderful dive spot in the Philippines is getting air-time on one of my favorite TV channels (used to have cable TV service but when I got too addicted to TV, I pulled the plug on my subscription). I hope there will be more shows on TV that would feature other Philippine dive sites.

Phil (bisugo767)

Edit: oops its Animal Planet (not Animal Channel)...

Decided to be a home body tonight and surprised to see that an Episode of Monty Halls Great Ocean Adventures on the Thresher Sharks of Malapascua Island was showing on Animal Planet Channel. Nice piece on the diving around Malapascua with a few plugs for Exotic Island Dive Resort, its owner, and their efforts to build artificial reefs... Gutsy Tuason gets an interview, gets to show off some of his thresher shark photos, and takes Monty to Monad for the threshers. I guess this originally aired in the UK on Channel 5 in Feb 2007 (Season #2).

Great seeing the PI in the spotlight. Even good ol Ton Ton, the excellent guide at Exotica who dove with me, got a lot of screen time and mentioned by name a number of times (good on ya Ton Ton!). They also covered Gato Island - a little spiffy production editing and the diving looked a lot better than what i remembered... :wink:

Only beef I had was when I was diving in Malapascua, I was always told we weren't allowed to use strobes on the Thresher Dives. The production team appeared not to be using lights for the thresher footage, but there is Gutsy in the background firing two strobes off at the threshers...!! :rofl3: (not that it mattered in my case as they were too far off :p) I'm sure the video production team appreciated that... :mooner: If I get back to Malapascua, I'm sure to give Ton Ton a ribbing about that.

Maybe Animal Channel will replay it in the region over the next couple of weeks.

A bit of Monty's comments on that episode can be found here.
WOW Philippines :: Specials : Media Invitation Releases

edit: Just took a look at Animal Planet's regional schedule and this episode will re-air at 3pm next Sat (Jan 12)
caught this last night... actually got to watch this several months ago and was happy generally with how the country was portrayed...

i like how he simplified the "golden triangle" thing and gave the local community some airtime

Jag

Pakman, thanks for the heads-up. Sadly, I do not have cable TV service at home so I won't be able to see the show. However, I am glad that some wonderful dive spot in the Philippines is getting air-time on one of my favorite TV channels (used to have cable TV service but when I got too addicted to TV, I pulled the plug on my subscription). I hope there will be more shows on TV that would feature other Philippine dive sites.

Phil (bisugo767)

Phil, anyways, this is for Animal Planet in the Asia region. Not sure if the scheduling is the same in the States.

I wonder if it is already available on the net...:D

Phil (bisugo767)

Phil, anyways, this is for Animal Planet in the Asia region. Not sure if the scheduling is the same in the States.

Back
Top Bottom