Malaga Cove

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Rickster

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
I am going to the Wrinkles BBQ and Dive Sat. Since I am making this a weekend trip, on the way home (to Ventura), I was thinking about diving Malaga Cove, on Sunday. Has anyone dove there this week? I was wondering what the conditions are. Thanks for any info. If anyone else wants to join in, you are welcome.
Rick

Recent reports form the area are red tide city. But that could change by Saturday. Last Sunday Staircase (just a few hundred yards into Ventura County) was 2-5 feet visibility. Check the dive reports for the latest.

You cold also hit Terranea Resort (Old Marineland) on the way home. It usually has better visibility and is a great dive. If that does not look good, Malaga Cove is just a short drive down the road

And keep an eye on the swell reports. Right now they're predicting heavy surf all along the coast on Sat and Sun. The cdip website is showing overhead waves around Palos Verdes and 5 ft surf in Laguna on Sat and Sun.

I know a few people that have dove the area in the past few days and they said that you can get under the red tide at 15ft or so and once you get under it there is pretty good vis.

The red tide changes daily so who know what it will be like Saturday.

Thanks for the info. The Old Marineland is another spot I have been wanting to try. I will check there first, as well as the surf report, as usual.
Thanks, again, Rick

I was thinking of doimg Malaga Cove on Sat but based on the above, it does not look good. :icon5:

Oh Well :06:

LLKZ16:
I was thinking of doimg Malaga Cove on Sat but based on the above, it does not look good. :icon5:

Oh Well :06:
As I recall, wetsand.com had the entire Wrinkles crew shaking in our little booties before the Leo Carillo camp/dive weekend....all kinds of Eeyore postings about horribly huge waves... bringing surfboards instead of scuba gear... PHD entries.... And what did we get? Great weather and a 2 foot swell with very occassional 3 footers.

Don't listen to the chicken littles :)D ). Wanna have fun? Show up and look for yourself. Scubapro5 is right about divers getting under the red tide this week, even at Malaga. Some very excited new divers got their first lobster there just recently, in pretty good viz UNDER the red tide.

Monsieur Cousteau continues to be right: You must go and see for yourself.
Have a great weekend!
Claudette

SWELLS??? not a problem in the north;

I'm working in Malibu for the next week and the ocean has been very flat in the mornings........surfers arriving in the 11-12 hours, 2-3 ft waves average yesterday/today off of pier 14.

Going diving tomorrow if I get out there early :wink:

I am on for sunday. If any one wants to join us, we will be at Malaga Cove @ 8:00am sharp. See you there.
Rick

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom