Mako Purus Compressor

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Beerad

Registered
Reaction score
Hi all, I got hold of an old Mako Purus. Was told very low hours barely used. Plugged it and and powered up, pumped to 3000 psi. I'm looking for any knowledge or info anyone might have. Is there a filter that will fit into the housing or do I need to add some kind of filtration system to it. I live on an island and have to travel about 8 hour round trip to get air so would love to fill my own tanks! Thanks in advance.

Brad

IMG_8749.jpg
IMG_8750.jpg
IMG_8752.jpg
IMG_8755.jpg
IMG_8757.jpg
IMG_8758.jpg
IMG_8800.jpg
IMG_8801.jpg
IMG_8802.jpg

Hi all, I got hold of an old Mako Purus. Was told very low hours barely used. Plugged it and and powered up, pumped to 3000 psi. I'm looking for any knowledge or info anyone might have. Is there a filter that will fit into the housing or do I need to add some kind of filtration system to it. I live on an island and have to travel about 8 hour round trip to get air so would love to fill my own tanks! Thanks in advance.

Brad

IMG_8749.jpg

IMG_8750.jpg

IMG_8752.jpg

IMG_8755.jpg

IMG_8757.jpg

IMG_8758.jpg

IMG_8800.jpg

IMG_8801.jpg

IMG_8802.jpg

That’s a cutie. Yes, the filter is in the chamber with the black hose going in the top.

That’s a cutie. Yes, the filter is in the chamber with the black hose going in the top.
Thanks. So it came with original oil and charcoal tins. That filter unscrews from top and you're meant to repack with the charcoal. Not quite sure if that'll pass air standards today :)
I'm trying to find out if there is a filter I can use in there, or what my next option would be.

Thanks. So it came with original oil and charcoal tins. That filter unscrews from top and you're meant to repack with the charcoal. Not quite sure if that'll pass air standards today :)
I'm trying to find out if there is a filter I can use in there, or what my next option would be.
I think your best bet is to ask at August Industries . They know everything to know about old purus systems.

They usually aren’t packed directly, there is a inner cartridge. And yes, you should have more than charcoal for breathing air. And if you have mineral oil, you probably want to replace with diesther oil.

I think your best bet is to ask at August Industries . They know everything to know about old purus systems.

They usually aren’t packed directly, there is a inner cartridge. And yes, you should have more than charcoal for breathing air. And if you have mineral oil, you probably want to replace with diesther oil.
Awesome! Thanks for the help!

That is awesome. I'd love to find something like that that filled to 4000. I don't care if it takes an hour.

There is a newer gas powered one on eBay. Not direct drive and $2500, but with a modern purus filter.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom