making jump to DSLR

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

"For me the biggest difference between the 7D/60D and the Rebel/Kiss cameras is the one vs. two control wheels."

Now that you mention it...that would be the biggest difference for me too. Good point.

I have a T2i in the Nauticam housing. One big advantage of that housing is that the controls on the housing work around the single control dial quite well. There's a toggle switch next to the shutter lever and the control dial knob that will toggle between shutter speed and aperture in manual mode. Flipping it with my thumb is really easy. Probably just as easy as dealing with two separate knobs. Overall, the aluminum housings tend to have better ergonomics than the Ikelite housings but they also cost a lot more too.

I've been really happy with this setup. With either the Aquatica or Nauticam housing, you're looking at one of the most compact DSLR setups around. Handy for travel and just shlepping around locally too. The sensor in the T2i, 60D, 7D and (I think) T3i is pretty much identical which means image quality is the same between them. The major difference is features--things like more dedicated knobs, dedicated video buttons, additional control dials and improved focus systems.

I seriously considered the 7D, but the price difference after everything was said and done was going to be quite a lot. About $1000 between the cameras, $700 between the housings, plus some other incidentals like buying compact flash memory cards added up to about a $2K difference for me. Image quality and feature-wise, the 5DII was also an option but the costs for going down that road were even larger. I didn't really look at the 60D for whatever reason, but I think there are more housings available for it now than when I was looking earlier this year.

I'm quite happy with the results of my Nikon D90, the only upgrade to it that I would consider is the D7000.

If I were starting from scratch - I'd research the used market first. Lenses make the photo, not the sensor, anything above the manufactured date of Jan 1st 2008 will have an excellent sensor on any dSLR.

Also the chance of getting a housing is better / easier / cheaper.

Remember the strobes, two are better, with the arms and housing, these items can easily cost 2x the price of the camera itself.

The price/point barrier for best-bang-for-the-buck for UW dSLR is with Canon T2i, since the T3 will fit in the same housing, so you have a bit of future there. (This info purely based on other posts of other members here on ScubaBoard, not personal experience)

IOW, skimp on the camera, not the stobes, arms, housing & lens.

Thnx for this info. Why would you not consider the d300?

Thnx for this info. Why would you not consider the d300?

The price differences on the housing between the D300 & D7000 is negligible. So for UW use, both will cost the same to take true dSLR pics & videos UW.

So why bother saving 300-400$ on the camera itself? Lenses are the same, but you'll get a faster everything.
Jumping to Canon, the housing prices + cam prices make it an excellent choice for UW, and "decent" for land.

For purely land-use, since I do pro-level work, I won't bother with the D300, will wait for the next price drop on the D7000. To me, the D300 == D90 except for a newer sensor, newer firmware. Not enough to entice me to switch.

I'll buy a Tokina 10-16 lens before I consider upgrading the D90.
Except for Point & Shoots that I've bought new, for portability and video, all my pro-level equipment is mostly second-hand.

If I had zero pro-level equipment - and starting dSLR - I would go used. For a simple reason, used doesn't lose much value in resell, cheaper to buy.

Why "make the jump" at all? dSLR offers few advantages to a good 4/3 or Sony NEX setup. Housings will be cheaper, and on land you'll take better candid shots, and won't have 20 lbs on a strap over your shoulders.

You just have to understand what you gain with dSLR - a viewfinder. Longer battery life, IMO.

All the 4/3's and the Sony NEX that I've looked at, all can do manual focus, you can easily set Aperture Priority to benefit from a reduced focus-zone or to improve your ISO, just like any dSLR.

My next camera purchase will be the newer model of the Sony NEX5, which has the same sensor as the D7000, for my GF to use, it is "purse friendly".
Plus, UW housings are now available, and will continue to be for at least a year or two. With support for the tilt-up viewscreen.

Another thing going for mirror-less cameras, the lens is closer to the sensor, so the lens-to-sensor ratio is different, IMO this is a positive.

"If I had zero pro-level equipment - and starting dSLR - I would go used. For a simple reason, used doesn't lose much value in resell, cheaper to buy."

Although I have nothing against buying used equipment, this all depends on how "used" it really is.

And, like you noted, especially in the upper level cameras...they usually seem pretty proud of what they have when it comes to putting a value on a piece of used camera equipment.

While shopping for a 5D mark II right now I find that the security I would get with a new body would outweigh the "I don't know how this thing was really treated" I would get with buying a used body.

For instance, I have a 40D with an over 50,000 shutter count. I am already experiencing lag every once in a while in the shutter and the shutter release button is sometimes fickle.

If you looked at the housing you wouldn't know this, I could sell it on ebay and the buyer may never even know the problems exist because they may never use the camera like I do. I just sold the underwater housing for this camera and didn't include the body because I knew it was getting weak.

Canon says this camera should do 150,000 shutter counts. Maybe they should have given one to me for testing.

The store I buy used housings from, Camera Simon in Montreal (over 30+ years in business) divulge the count.

Sometimes they have the very same housing for sale at two different prices. To me, it's like the mileage on a car.

If you buy a brand new 5D Mark II and resell it used after only a month, you'll take a huge hit. Do the same with a used, you will lose, but not as much.
Especially when you "Trade Up".

Camera Simon will gladly take your money more than once, and "help" you on your upgrade path :) to pro-level.

While lenses remain an important component of getting good pics, the sensor is important as well. In the old film days, a body was only a film holder and the lens made the picture. In modern days the sensor is not only the film but the processor as well and there are very easily measured and observed differences between sensors. If you don't believe that take a look at DXO labs results you will see quite a bit of difference in quality for the same size sensors and I am not sure I understand the magic of January 2008.

Bill

Just about all cameras produced after 2008 will be at least 8MP or better, and have decent ISO for low-light conditions.

Just a note for used dSLR cameras.

While lenses remain an important component of getting good pics, the sensor is important as well. In the old film days, a body was only a film holder and the lens made the picture. In modern days the sensor is not only the film but the processor as well and there are very easily measured and observed differences between sensors. If you don't believe that take a look at DXO labs results you will see quite a bit of difference in quality for the same size sensors and I am not sure I understand the magic of January 2008.

Bill

Back
Top Bottom