making camera neutrally buoyant

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

fishstix

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I'd like to make my Go Pro/camera tray/lights more neutrally buoyant. As they are now they are so heavy that it makes it hard to get smooth, "floating" camera moves. Does anyone have any techniques they've used to achieve this?

I thought, from your other post, that you had an Intova HD. Either way you really need to show us a picture of you kit in order for us to provide feedback.

You could try using zip-ties to attach some neoprene pipe insulation to the handles, or around the lights.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

Anyone have a suggestion for my tray? Not a whole lot of places to attach foam I think.

TrayFinalfront.jpg

You can take PVC pipe with end caps and place them under the tray. It works for me.

How much does your rig weigh? What diameter & length of pipe do you use, and how do you attach it? If you have a photo of your rig, I'd love to see it! Many Thanks!

---------- Post added September 1st, 2013 at 08:31 PM ----------

This link from 3D Diver looks like it'll be helpful for all us negatively buoyant camera operators: DIY Underwater Camera Floats & Strobe Arm Floats

My system is rather heavy. I have an Al tray with two light arms. It does not sound too heavy but it is due to the battery cannisters. Two SLA 21 HIDs. we use to just attach the cannisters to our kit but there was no way to pass it off should the need arise. I made it so that you can use any light and I do mean anylight without having to change the configeration. You can also attach it to a DPV if you like. I have added three PVC tubes under the tray and i will try to send a picture soon.

Attachments

• CIMG1823.jpg
    CIMG1823.jpg
    52.5 KB · Views: 265
  • CIMG1824.jpg
    CIMG1824.jpg
    55.1 KB · Views: 244
  • CIMG1825.jpg
    CIMG1825.jpg
    53.2 KB · Views: 239
https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back