making adjustments to drysuits

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

diverrick

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I am looking into dry suits, but none of the off the rack suits even come close to fitting me, as I am 5'4" and 190 Lbs.
The cost of a custom suit is too steep for my comfort, so would anyone know if it is reasonable to cut a bit at the top of the booty, and then cut some above the knee somewhere, in order to get the length right for me? I can pick up a reasonably good suit on E-Bay, but they still won't fit with out some adjustments.
I know getting the alterations done is expensive, but it is still appears to be cheaper than buying a new custom suit.
Second question would be, does anyone know of a manufacturer of dry suits that makes a XL short? I have found one that makes semidry suits in a XLS, but have had no luck in finding a drysuit in that size.

Most drysuit manufacturers will make mods like lopping a few inches off the sleeves or legs - as they taper and lopping much more off will make them too big to fit into the seal or boot.

That said, I have seen some amazing modifications performed by the nice people at Superior Drysuit Repair ( http://www.drysuitrepair.com )

Not just valves relocated, legs shortened, etc. I mean serious stuff - panels added (underarm and in the back) in matching material and color, etc. Stuff DUI would never do in a million years. I recommend you call these folks and speak with them to get a feeling about what is possible with suits of different materials so you can make an intellegent purchase decision.

Also, go to the DUI and Andy's websites and download their custom suit sizing templates. Get a cloth tape measure, and have SOMEONE ELSE measure you. Fill in the sheet, and when you see a custom suit that is in the ballpark, contact the seller and get the specs.... they had to use this form when they ordered it - so they'll likely have an idea of the various sizes, etc.

And keep looking on eBay for a custom suit in your size that someone is selling. There are custom suits on eBay all the time that may be close enough to modify and fit you.

Let us know how your conversation with Superior Diving goes.

Ken

To elaborate on what Ken said, you might also contact DUI about suits they have that were returned or cancelled.

I know of several people who got oddball suits from DUI that were returned because they didnt fit the original customer right.

They have a link on their webpage for it, or you can probably contact them directly and it could end up saving you a bunch of $$.

Dive Rite 905's all run a bit on the husky side. And then they even offer a "huskey" cut. That would have to be an XL.

The funny thing I had noticed on all of the sizing charts, is that for a person who is 5'4" they seem to think that 110 to 130 LBs is the correct wieght! Heck, I'd be gone before I reached those weights! As well as in the hospital for eating disorders. It looks like they make suits for only skinny Models now a days. I know of very few people who would match those sizes, at least in America. Maybe the suit makers should take a look at thier customer base, and adjust thier charts to really reflect most peoples "real" sizes. I figure they don't do that because, then they can sell you a custom suit for more money, when you can't find one that fits off the rack.

What Mo2vation says about Superior DrySuit Repair is true.

I haven't done it yet but I was amazed at how little they charge for relocating valves and the like. I have not found one diver who says anything negative about their work.

You just might be able to get an XL suit and have the torso, arms and legs "lopped off" a bit.

And best off all Superior is here in Brainard, Mn. don't ya know.

I have the opposite problem as Rick, I'm too tall for off the rack suits. After winning a nice suit on eBay I sent it off to Superior Diving Repair and they added 5" leg extentions, right where you asked about, for $45.
They probably save all the rings of neoprene, they cut off the short guys suits, and sell them to the tall guys.:D
The repairs that get expensive are the boots and zippers, all else are surprisingly cheap.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom