making a cheap underwater camera

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bober99

Contributor
Reaction score
I often have wanted to explore new uncharted areas (or at least ones I haven't been to) with my kayak but have run into a problem: diving into the unknown is quite a hassle. I drop my anchor, get dressed, jump in, go down, look around because there is nothing around and come back up, get undressed and pull up my anchor.

Wouldn't it be easier if I knew what was below? If I lived in the Caribbean this wouldn't be a problem because I can see the bottom from the top but in California where the vis could be 8-10 ft or less, I think it would be neat to have a waterproof camera to drop down to check out what it's like.

I thought about making a cheap camera and have thought about getting a UK c4 dive light or other cheap dive light and tossing the insides. I then put in one of those mini cmos cameras and glue it to the inside and presto an underwater camera for less than $100!

My only problem now is getting the video to the surface. What's the best way to get the video cable out?

I figure people who make can lights can help with this. Seems like a very similar problem, getting two cable lead out of a box underwater without flooding the case and/or shorting the cable. Any direction would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

presto an underwater camera for less than $100!
They sell the whole system for under $150 on eBay. For fishermen, but I don't see why it wouldn't work for you.

Do a search for "underwater video camera" on eBay for some examples. Here's a listing for the camera with LED lights around it, 65' of cable, small b/w monitor and battery pack for $129. Looks like it would be compact enough to work in a kayak too.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=7169678082&category=29723&ssPageName=WDVW&rd=1

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom