Maker movement...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

*shrugs* Just buy the tools to do what you want.

You can put a DRO kit on most anything and for a few thousand dollars you can get a nice upright mill and put a CNC kit on it. I still machine stuff old skool, but I have a LOT to learn, and CNC would be far easier.

I am sure there are places that will run your programing for 3D printing.

The best way to do it, is to have friends/mentors :) The ABS here was cut on the old router machine, their new one is really nice.

Router table.jpg

FWIW few people need to work with tubing notchers and benders, unless you are building rock crawlers or race cars. I have a hydro Protools setup that I rarely use anymore, although I will need to build another receiver hitch once I get my car back from the body shop. I still have 3 20ft sticks of 1.75" DOM that is always in the way, since it doesn't fit on my metal rack as it is too long.

We had one of those places around here for a while but it went under. The trouble with them, at least IMO, by the time you pay the entry fees, use fees, all the class fees and the like, you can buy a small used mill and/or lathe...which is what I did. If they go out of business, like the one here did, then you are back in the same boat minus a lot of money. If you buy used, the machines pretty much hold their value making upgrading or getting out of the hobby later is easy and you can recoup most of your money. I sold my first lathe for $50 more than I bought it for and used it for 4 years, my first mill I used for 3 or 4 years and sold it for $100 less than I paid for it, I most likly could have gotten more but I needed the room. I love having the ability to make most anything I need. As for training, there are some good books available (most are 50 or more years old) and there is a lot of great videos on youtube.

I can't really find a forum for them. I do need to find a great electronics forum that will tolerate my uber noobishness.

I currently work with decorative wood projects as a CNC programmer. For the computer literate and spatially minded, it's not hard at all to catch onto. The problem rests with cost prohibitive programs. You can find cracked/hacked programs, but there are rumors that some will add "mystery toolpaths" that dive right across your work surface.

If I had a little more money to invest, or knew of a wealthy benefactor, I'd seriously consider a good size machine with a rotary 4th axis for wood/metal, a 3d printer, and a plating/anodizing setup (along with several other small goodies...like a TIG welder). You could build damn near anything with those things covered.

The closest thing to a "Maker" facility that I have seen is some bicycle co-ops that share resources and often have mentors on hand. I fooled around one for a while but found it was mostly a place for homeless vagabonds and DUI types to repair their bicycles at somebody else's expense. But, some are really nice, I know.

I usually just buy what I need in terms of tools. I have been building things since I was pre-school, wood, metal, electronic, whatever. But, yes, I like this idea of a "Maker" movement. Anything to get people away from Wal Mart and Chi-Com crap. Kind of an anti-consumer movement.

N

Hi NetDoc,

We participate in a "Maker" community up here in Northwest Arkansas. The community has a lot of individual capability - 3D printers, laser engraving, CNC, etc but not a coordinated space yet. By nature our own business gives us some of that - we have a 50W laser engraving machine, multiple sewing machines, 2 embroidery machines and dye sublimation printing capability (printers/heat press). We are always open to helping with a custom project. Not always for free but have worked with many in the dive community to develop products, tags, etc.

Steve

I have access to machines and/or people to do stuff. Just cut some custom wrenches yesterday on the waterjet out of 1/4 inch brass for regulator work.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom