Maker movement...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The Chairman

Chairman of the Board
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
How many here know of or are a part of the maker movement? I've been creating from scratch and repurposing my whole life only to find that there's a movement devoted to this going on. I am about half way through "Zero to Maker" by David Lang and it's been an eye opener. It's tragic that the closest make/hackerspace is in Miami. It sounds like fun.

I hope that the makerspace movement gains momentum and proves financially successful. Most people can't afford to have a home machine shop but would love to have access to one for certain projects.

Are you talking fabricator type activities?

Are you talking fabricator type activities?
Yes. A place to build where you have access to CNC driven machines, laser cutters, various welders and even 3D printers. Moreover, they give lessons on how to use these tools. I've spent hundreds of hours behind lathes and milling machines and even more on arc and mig welders. I would love to be able to program a CNC mill to make a few things out of brass and aluminum.

I've always admired people who can fulfill a need using their minds, skills, raw materials and some tools.

If you're talking about just making things to solve a problem. Like designing or modifying a circuit or any kind of on the fly manipulation. I'd say somewhere in the neighborhood of middle school.

If you're talking about what is commonly referred to as being a "maker". Such as using an additive 3d printer or subtractive laser cutter, or traditional CNC mill. then about 2 years. Friend of mine bought and assembled an ultimaker, and I've designed and created a few pieces of unique "devices" with it. Gopro scuba mask mounts, retainer ring for a bag to take my slr out in the rain, adapter to mount my cell phone on a standard tripod etc.

There is a nice maker space about an hour away from me at USF, but I think it might be restricted to students of USF.

People who make constantly reference PLA as not being durable enough to use for anything other than a bona fide prototype. I've got a few pieces of PLA that are fairly well used and at least a year old now. I think it's an underrated material.

FWIW, you can put together an ultimaker for around $1000, and that's one of the best additive consumer grade 3d printers around. Fortunately, the plans for the thing are entirely open source so you could go to a maker space and make your own, or get one from ebay for next to nothing.

I've worked in companies (product development laboratories) that have these resources for 30 years. I can make almost anything; 3D printing, full machine shop, welding, etc. Made my own freedom plate a few years ago and many photographic DIY projects. What's cool about the movement is finding folks that really know another skill and learning off of them. Then, some youngster will enter and you get to show him how to do it...

I Then, some youngster will enter and you get to show him how to do it...
I love the monkey see, monkey do, monkey teach progression. You have to understand it in order to teach it.

Back
Top Bottom