Make Good Money as a Scuba Instructor

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why is it because you realize there are like 1600 or so divers watching you put both feet in your mouth.

I imagine business from us will come to a standstill cause we are so stupid.

Can you send pictures of the "foot in mouth" experience you are having?

CaptDave, please dont.

I am sorry if you feel we have all ganged up on you in this thread, its just everyone feels so relaxed with one-another that we feel we can express our feelings with the other person understanding....we tend to forget that with all our imput it can end up looking very hurtful from you point of view.

We aren't all out to gang up on you, merely to share our own points of view. And unfortunately, I guess you opened up a can of worms that was best left closed.

I do not think this thread should be deleted, simply down to the fact it is educational for both diving and for how we treat other members.

I am sorry you feel ScubaBoard has done you an injustice...I hope you will reconsider and give us another try.

Again, my apologies.

This thread was intended for information on how to make real money as a scuba instructor.. I welcomed all questions and any information that was in that area.
It seems that a few of the regulars felt it necessary to only find fault with many of the views expressed rather than to ask questions or to add positive information..Because of this I have asked that this thread be deleated..
I can no longer find the energy to try and give information that I have proved that worked for me . I hope any of you out there at the scuba board who wanted to learn will not be put off by all of this. If you want e-mail me and I will continue with my dialogue privately with you.
Sincerely,

" I can't take constuctive criticism and can't engage in healthy debate.. You all are stupid and I'm outta here!"
- a paraphrased post from Captdave that I guess he later deleted from this thread after calling all of us crybabies.

I read your post and I will say that if you can make that kind of money, I think that's great! Capitalism at it's finest. I would be willing to bet there are wealthy people out there who would like to learn in paradise, and I think that is great. I got my cert from a LDS who told me to buy his gear because all other gear is crap. I don't think I'm cheap because I don't want to pay $800 for a $400 BC...I think I'm smart. If you have the money, and don't have the time or wan't to expend the energy to do the research to get the best deal, more power to you. I don't call you stupid .. and I don't think you should call me cheap. The impression I got from my OW instructor/LDS owner was that if I don't spend my money on just what he tells me to buy at the price he says, then he doesn't want anything to do with me. Guess what? Not only did I not buy my $3,600 worth of gear from him, but I will get my continuing instruction from somewhere else. In fact I don't even get my air fills from him anymore. I mean, if what he's doing works for him, or what you are doing works for you, great!..more power to you. I'm not afraid to spend money, I just don't like feeling like I've been taken. And if I'm trying to focus on new instruction, I don't need the thought that my instructor is trying to swindle me, in the back of my mind. I want to have complete trust in my instructor. So, again I say, I have nothing against your approach. It's just not for me. I don't think I'm cheap. Like I said, a month after my OW cert, I went out and purchased $3,600 worth of very high quality gear. I just didn't pay more than I had to. In my opinion, that's smart...not cheap.

I will second ScubaBaby's motion to keep the thread - I may not agree with everything said and that goes for both CaptDave AND some of the other members of the board.

I think that any discussion - no matter how much I disagree or think things might be a bit far fetched - I have to say that although the particular economic model may not appeal to me - there are a number of ideas that I find highly interesting and I may have to try it out just to see what happens.
I know people don't see the take home as $1000 a student - but looking at the math - it coudl be significantly more than what an instructor currently brings home.

I think that it is important to approach these things - not as a true/false statement, but rather as an idea for something bigger and better - I for one don't think I would do well selling like that - but I can see a number of things that could easily be implemented in a cold water environment.

Anyway, don't shut down the dialoque - and don't shut down your fellow members because you don't agree - this is like a TV, you can move on if you want.

Go diving,
Big T

all I have to say is, great comment......

I respect you very much for trying to share your thoughts and ideas.

Thank you for your email, but if you look make i am also one who doubts what you have to say. I may support you when your feeling bullied by others but I still do not see where your coming from considering what you say on the board and what you advertise in your dive shop are opposites.

The reason I wish for this to remain, is no matter how many people disagree, to disagree they must learn to opposite first...and thats what this gives people the opportunity to do - hope that makes sense!

CaptDave, all I can say is I hope in your eyes, this thread doesnt reflect the rest of the board and its members. I am sure if you stick around, you'll almost find us bearable.

Hope to see you around the board.

..that Captdave, you had some good and innovative ideas. Learning in paradise, the videotaping, these are good ideas. In fact, you should even have a guy on the boat with editing equipment, to quickly edit the footage while everybody eats or on the trip back to shore, and maybe add some background music or something, then offer a copy to your students for a small price. There's nothing wrong with offering good information or innovative ideas. It just that your original post was pretty condescending to those of us who aren't rich or maybe who are, but still like to get the most for their money. You made it sound like everybody who doesn't teach like you is stupid, and everybody who doesn't take your class is cheap..And I just think that that's not the case. That's why you got the responses you did.

A post was deleted on this thread because the management decided to delete it rather than delete the whole thread or close the thread. Thus, there will be some disconnects.

However, in the spirit of free interchange of ideas, it was thought that this was the best way to go. We do not delete threads or posts without considerable thought. The reasons usually have to do with inappropriate language, etc. They are NEVER because a regulator disagrees with a poster, NEVER!

Joewr

Thanks for the nice responses. I can see there are reasonable ones out there that want to look at a subject and offer concrete critizism..To answer your critic about the differences in shop prices and the posts is their is a totaly different operation in effect for the high end..I still have to compete on the low end. The high end is not advertised and never will be . It is marketed by direct marketing which I have not had a chance to tell you about as yet.
It has never been my intention to offend anybody. It was my attention to wake people up to the facts about what is and what is not...
I want people to offer any ideas they have on how to create a good paying job for our scuba instructors..As was stated earlier they don't get paid squat.

My model works I have done it.. Sure there are people who can get anything cheaper so why go with my group. This is handled quite effectively in the marketing area....

The math can be adjusted in either direction to fit into a particular area etc but it truly does work.

I again do not want anything for this information it is offered free...

Should I continue?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom