Majuro Report

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Halthron

Contributor
Reaction score
I was recently sent to Majuro for work so I brought my gear.

Bako divers wasn't an option as the owner was in Hawaii while I was there. Before I knew this, I sent him an email which he didn't respond to after returning (I saw him my last day) and there was no answering machine to indicate he was gone.

I asked around but the only place anyone knew was Bako. I looked through the phone book (all 37 pages of yellow pages) and called those shops listed. The only one that seemed to be both in business and in town was Marshalls Dive Adventure (MDA).

MDA is the closest shop to the RRE hotel, it's across the parking lot and down a very short ways, within easy walking distance even lugging gear. MDA uses a covered boat with twin 50HP outboard motors. Exiting the boat is an easy backroll off with a short ladder to get back on.

Their market is primarily Japanese tourists who didn't dive any worse than the average tourist. Because of the lack of skill among the other divers, we kept to mostly easy sites in the lagoon. The first three sites were essentially all alike. Vis was high, the sun was bright, the fish were colorful but the coral wasn't. The landscape was pretty bland, sand and rock and table coral in earth tones, white to light brown. Much of the time was spent shallow which when combined with the clarity of the water, the sun and the pale surroundings, made photography difficult.

The fourth dive was done by myself, the main DM and one tourist and was called Aquarium. The site wasn't all that colorful but the depths (40-80 ft) made photography a bit easier in the clear waters. Of course sharks, tunas and rays don't usually sit still for long.

The SI sites were awesome, the islands were "fresh out of tourism brochures" quality. The owner even has built a few bungalows on one if someone really wants to get away from it all.

From what I saw, inside the lagoon isn't that great a place. We didn't see anything big, and the overall color was lacking. If you're going to be in the area, some diving is better than no diving but the lagoon isn't worth making a special trip for. Aquarium was nice since we don't have much in the way of big stuff at my normal dive sites.

Would I do it again? When work sends me back, sure but only if I couldn't do other sites. The owner of MDA only considers camera gear under equipment on his web site but the main DM (a Marshallise guy) had a broader interpretation. I wouldn't make a special trip for the lagoon though and I'd inquire closely if I was making a special trip.

What seems like several hundred years ago I was "passing through" and managed to get in a couple of dives there. No operation, just lug the gear to a spot known by a friend. It was hot, the water was almost hot, but it was the deepest shade of blue I'd ever seen. (OK, the white sand as contrast helped). I seem to remember a large ray ambling about, and getting cruised by a dogtooth tuna. We wandered back to a series of sheds where a guy had collected some neat tropicals that he was preparing to ship out for aquarium owners. All in all, it was one of those places that always made me wonder what its like now - and how difficult would it be to return...

For what its worth the diving outside the lagoon can be nice. We were there earlier this year having been shafted by the Oleanda operation (trip canceled at the last moment). Bako did a nice job filling in (we were also doing Bikini) and the dives on the outside of Majuro and off the atoll some 10 miles from Majuro (forget the name) were very nice. Great viz and incredible coral. Not as much pelagic as i would have hoped for but i imagine thats there as well.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom