Major Problem with New DUI TLS drysuit

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thank you for the all important update and sharing your experience. I am waiting on a delivery date for my drysuit from DUI and looking forward to diving dry. (i hope)

The suit has now been sent back to DUI. They are replacing the defective valve and it should be back to me within 10 days....
They should have just sent the dive shop or you a valve in the mail with a return envelope for the defective valve. Well at least that is what a great customer service would have done, so you could use it THIS weekend. Good customer service just fixes it in their time frame.

They should have just sent the dive shop or you a valve in the mail with a return envelope for the defective valve. Well at least that is what a great customer service would have done, so you could use it THIS weekend. Good customer service just fixes it in their time frame.

I would not have wanted that done...I would not trusted anyone other than DUI to install the valve in the suit...In my work i deal with glues and epoxys and they can be trickey for someone who doesnt know what they are doing...

Im totally fine with waiting and getting the suit repaired correctly..Im ok with a 10 day turn around...the glues need to set up well anyway,,, if i dive this weekend i will use the great wetsuit i own...I've been diving for 36 years in a wetsuit...im sure i can handle 10 more days!..lol

In my work i deal with glues and epoxys and they can be trickey for someone who doesnt know what they are doing...
So you don't know what you are doing? :confused: :D You set yourself up for that one.

We are talking something that uses silicon to seal it and cranked down hand tight works just fine. I guess I am so used to fixing everything around me I don't have fear of tackling most any job. You are doing what makes you comfortable with it and that is good :coffee:

I would not have wanted that done...I would not trusted anyone other than DUI to install the valve in the suit...In my work i deal with glues and epoxys and they can be trickey for someone who doesnt know what they are doing...

The valve is a screw-on. It took more time to box the suit for shipping that it would have taken to replace the valve.

OTOH, if the dealer didn't already know this, it's probably safer to just have them send it back.

flots.

Forget about the shop guys...they are great and know what they are doing...I WANTED THE SUIT SENT BACK TO DUI,,,me,,,all me...I just got it and i wanted the company who made it to fix it right...im not comfortable fixing seals...Im not a drysuit repair person...if it was a fishing rod (Im a custom rod builder) no problem...but my personal opinion is to always let the company who makes the items do the repairs...it would be different it i lived somewhere that i didnt have that choice...and like I said before...I can do without the suit for the 10 days it takes (in reality it would probally take me longer to do the repair my self..too busy)...and I am totally comfortable diving wet...and you all are assuming that the problem is not in the area where the seal is installed on the suit....and you know what they say about assuming....

if it was a fishing rod (Im a custom rod builder)
Hey cool, I did that when I was 13 years old with an Orvis blank kit. Made my own rod wrapping stand too, and I still have the fly rod in my collection...of two rods. I bought a Winston 9' 4 piece right before a backpacking trip as I had broken my other backpacking fly rod. Once in a great while I still tie flies, but not very often any more, as I only fish when backpacking, catch and release.

Winston is a great rod..very high end..We love back packing in the Sierras and fishing the streams and lakes,,,so relaxing..we spent our honeymoon doing that. The 4 piece rods are great for backpacking. We made a heavier (9wt) 4 piece saltwater flyrod for a customer that travels to Baja fishing. Catching and releasing Roosterfish on a flyrod is a blast!..I really admire the flytiers...i would go blind!

Forget about the shop guys...they are great and know what they are doing...I WANTED THE SUIT SENT BACK TO DUI,,,me,,,all me...I just got it and i wanted the company who made it to fix it right...im not comfortable fixing seals...Im not a drysuit repair person...if it was a fishing rod (Im a custom rod builder) no problem...but my personal opinion is to always let the company who makes the items do the repairs...it would be different it i lived somewhere that i didnt have that choice...and like I said before...I can do without the suit for the 10 days it takes (in reality it would probally take me longer to do the repair my self..too busy)...and I am totally comfortable diving wet...and you all are assuming that the problem is not in the area where the seal is installed on the suit....and you know what they say about assuming....

I am curious about something. First let me say it is your suit and you can have repaired however and by whoever you wish. My question is that from reading your posts, it seems as if you only have 2 options. 1 repair it yourself or 2 send it to the manufacturer and have them repair it. Is my understanding correct? Does the authorized dealer you purchased it from not do repairs or is it that you find only the two options I listed worth your consideration?

alibi 2,

I agree with what you did by sending the suit back to DUI. It is brand new and it is covered with DUI warranty. Let DUI worry about it and fix it for you properly. If it still doesn't work, it is their fault and no one would accuse you of breaking it later.

Have great time diving!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom