Major Freak Out - What should I have done differently?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Simple

Go sign up and take a cavern course from a good cave instructor.

The increased knowledge and equipment configurations will help ease your fears.

I'm going to tell a story from a recent dive and I'd like to hear some various feedback. I'm pretty aware now of what I should have done differently, but I'd also like to know if you think the DM should have done anything differently?

I'm AOW with about 100 dives (mostly vacation). I recently went out with a dive op that I know and trust implicitly, although with a new DM I had only dove with once the day before. On the boat were myself and two other customers (one of which was very advanced and one who had been certified OW a few days earlier but picked up on diving easily-these two were buddies and had been diving together all week).

The DM told us we'd be diving Devil's Throat. This is in Cozumel and I'm sure many of you are familiar. If not, it's a series of tunnels ranging from 130 to 80 feet-some very dark and pretty tight, others bright and fairly open with an exit in view (at least in the area we'd be diving). I mentioned that I had never done this dive but that I love swimthroughs and I had no nerves about it whatsoever. This was true-I was really excited! We had done some swimthroughs the day before and I was just raving about them. As long as they are nice and open and there is a clear exit, I do just fine and my buoyancy is pretty good.
He gave a briefing and was adamant that we double checked our air, hoses, gauges, etc. because this was a very precise dive plan and everything needed to go perfectly.

We descended immediately on the reef and all was good. As we neared the entrance to the 'tunnels' the instructor checked to see if we were all ok and I gave the sign. He motioned for me to slow down and reduce my finning. All was fine, no nerves. He started into the first tunnel and I followed after. I saw one tunnel to the left which was bright and well lit, and another tunnel to the right which was completely black and just big enough for one diver to fit comfortably. The DM had a flashlight, I did not. I began to follow the DM as he turned on his light and swam in-I could only see blackness aside from glimpses of the walls where his light shown. The entrance was way tighter than I was comfortable with and I quickly realized that I could not see an exit or any light. This is the point where I started to feel uneasy. As he went further in, I made an abrupt decision to turn around. There was just enough room for me to pass the other two divers and as I did, I gave them the signal that I couldn't do that swim through and I was going out. We all made eye contact and I gave them the "okay"

Now before you judge, let me tell you where my panicked mind was at this point..."I'm swimming into a dark overhead environment at 130 feet and I feel like I'm going to panic. I could swim further in and have a full blown panic attack in a place where I can't see an exit, or I can get out now!" I'm not saying any of this is logical, but at the time, fight or flight was making my decisions and I was truly on the verge of a full blown panic attack.

I swam back to the entrance and waited. I wasn't really sure if the DM would know what happened and what he would do, but I assumed he would look back and see that I had swum out OR I thought one of the other divers who knew what had happened would signal him when he turned back.

So I waited at the entrance for about 2 - 3 minutes fighting a full blown panic attack the entire time. As more and more time passed and no one came out of the cave I became more and more panicked. I started trying to calm myself and think through my options. I had 2500 PSI at about 100 feet and I was completely alone. I nearly bolted to the surface but I didn't have a SMB and I know there is a lot of boat traffic. I surely didn't want to risk being hit by a boat or left alone on the surface. YES, I now realize that would have been the correct procedure since I didn't have a dive buddy and had become separated from the group. I also knew that the DM said they would be in the passages for about 20 minutes and my thought at the time was that I didn't want to simply disappear and risk the DM thinking I was lost in the cave.

I remembered back to when I was first certified and I didn't want to do a swim through. The DM simply had me swim around and meet the group about 15 feet away at the exit. I watched their bubbles the whole time and followed them with no issue. I thought this might be the most practical thing to do so I started to swim over/around the reef looking for bubbles. Although I stopped panicking, i was still breathing pretty heavy and my heart rate was very high. I had about 1800 PSI and had been alone about 10 minutes with no sign of the other divers.

I looked in all directions and saw no bubbles or divers. Obviously they were still in the tunnels and either didn't know I was missing or were frantically trying to find me. The current was strong and I was being pushed North at a much faster rate than they would be moving through the still tunnels.

Soon I recognized a passage where I knew there was an exit-actually it was the only spot on that part of the reef where you would have to swim out and across a sandy bottom in order to keep moving North. I ascended just above the reef and waited, watching desperately for any bubbles. At this point I had been alone for nearly 25 minutes and I had about 1400 PSI. I was terrified but even more so I was embarrassed at the responsibility the DM must be feeling for me and for the incident. I knew I had made a huge error and I felt horrible. He was dealing with a lost diver in a cave system 130 feet deep and was probably fearing the repercussions.

Remarkably, I spotted bubbles about 50 yards away. The DM had the marker buoy deployed and it seemed they were headed to the surface. Once they spotted me, we all joined up, I signaled that I was scared but okay, and we finished the rest of the dive (ABOVE the reef).

Once we surfaced, the DM asked that we not discuss what happened until we were back on the boat. I apologized profusely and got a short lecture on why it is important not to break the dive plan. The DM also reiterated that he only took us there because we were experienced divers who could handle that dive.

SO, I do know that I should have asked for more details about the dive; I should have mentioned that I don't like complete overhead environments or tight spaces; I should have tried to get the DM's attention before I exited the tunnels; I should have surfaced immediately when I realized I was separated from the group.

BUT, do you think recreational divers should be doing dives like this? Do you think there should be any kind of additional briefing/safety information? Was there a way for me to anticipate that I might panic on this dive?

Strangely, the only thing I really truly learned from this experience is that I need to let every DM know that I might potentially panic in a dark, overhead environment and if that's included in the dive, I can't do it! (oh, and surface if you lose your buddy-which I already knew, but my panicked brain overrode).

Ok, let me have it....

[/COLOR]

I carry my cannister light... it's used for securing your long hose, even if you don't need it as a light. :)

But, it's relative. Go in a cave and turn off your lights. THAT's pitch black.
Certainly there are differences in light sensitivity from one person to another. Have you ever done a night dive? Have you turned off your lights during a night dive? Was it a full moon on a clear night, or a cloudy night? On a relatively clear night, I can see pretty well without lights. There's some awfully cool luminescent stuff to see when your lights are off, though the lights are certainly on for most of the dive.

Yes, I've done about 10 night dives and loved every one. Turning off the lights to see the bioluminescence is my favorite part! I think on DT it was the combination of the depth, the darkness, the unknown, and the overhead environment. None of those single factors freaks me out, but put them all together, and for me it was a nightmare!

If I were to put myself into this situation, I would walk into the dive shop...

Me: What kind of dives do you do in your charter?
Shop: We do our first dive to Devil's Throat. We do our second dive at site xyz.
Me: What are the profiles like?
Shop: Devil's throat is 130ft deep. It has a swim through at the bottom. it's our signature dive in Coz.
Me: Anything beyond 100ft is too deep for me. What else do you have?

No white boards. No advanced language skills. There are other characteristics of a dive profile that are more nuanced which could disqualify a dive for me. But depth is one of the very first things I ask about when I am vacation diving on a boat.

You can speak fluent spanish or they fluent english but by the time you are on the boat, you have paid your money. You have committed your day. Everyone else in the boat is now serving to give implicit peer pressure. Asking these questions on the boat as opposed to the dive shop was the failure, IMHO.

It's certainly possible to do that kind of thing--you could even call them from home before you leave for Mexico. I'm guessing it would take more than the 10-second exchange in your example, though. It's not often THAT easy. It may go more like this in the OP's case:

OP: What kind of dives do you do in your charter?
Shop: We visit the same sites as pretty much every other shop in Cozumel. Do you have some specific interest?
OP: Well, the last time I was here I really liked swim-throughs. But I'm very safety-conscious. I don't want to push it. How deep are the sites we might visit?
Shop: We visit lots of different sites, some have swim-throughs. Almost all of them are somewhere between, oh I dunno, 60 and 100 feet. Generally, once you're on the boat, the DM will either offer up a suggested site, or the divers can speak up if there's something in particular they like. The DM will tell you if it's an advanced dive or not. If the DM doesn't think you can handle something, the DM won't suggest it. But you've got, what, 100 dives and you've never felt uncomfortable in a swim-through?
OP: Yeah.
Shop: You'll be fine. Just talk to the DM.

---------- Post added August 29th, 2015 at 10:54 AM ----------

Simple

Go sign up and take a cavern course from a good cave instructor. . . .

I did just that. And I learned enough to know I don't want to dive Devil's Throat under typical Cozumel vacation dive boat circumstances. Maybe, just maybe, if an outfit like Aldora took a group of experienced/cavern divers, properly equipped, specifically to do this kind of dive. But even then, I think I would not do it. It just doesn't fit in with the kind of relaxed diving I go to Cozumel for. I know there are some who enjoy tech diving there, and there are opportunities for them. That's just not of interest to me.

SO, I do know that I should have asked for more details about the dive; I should have mentioned that I don't like complete overhead environments or tight spaces; I should have tried to get the DM's attention before I exited the tunnels; I should have surfaced immediately when I realized I was separated from the group.

BUT, do you think recreational divers should be doing dives like this? Do you think there should be any kind of additional briefing/safety information? Was there a way for me to anticipate that I might panic on this dive?

Strangely, the only thing I really truly learned from this experience is that I need to let every DM know that I might potentially panic in a dark, overhead environment and if that's included in the dive, I can't do it! (oh, and surface if you lose your buddy-which I already knew, but my panicked brain overrode).

[/COLOR]

Cozumel is a fabulous dive destination but many of the dives can be challenging, depending on daily conditions. As discussed, DT is far from the best dive there, should be considered a cavern dive (not cave, IMHO) and should be avoided without overhead training, additional equipment including a light, DSMB, additional signaling options and if at all possible done with a group that has experience with each other. It is a difficult dive to do properly as a cavern dive on an AL80 if you intend to obey the rule of thirds (one third of the gas for the way in, one third for the return, one third in reserve meaning you surface (or at minimum on this dive, reach safety stop depth, with 1000 psi). Doing it this way requires a team that will backroll together, head right down to the entrance with minimal delay, and are all very good on gas consumption.

As many of the better signature dive sites at Cozumel such as in the Palancar area are often done at 90' to 100' or more as the first dive of the morning, some dive shops bring divers to sites for which they are not trained, including currents the likes of which they may never have felt before.

One thing you may wish to consider is completing more detailed research on a destination, dive sites in the area and the conditions you are likely to face. Knowing things like that currents in Cozumel in April can be changeable and occasionally make some dive sights considerably more challenging than usual. That northern dive sites like Barracuda run very fast currents, and have little boat traffic to render assistance if needed. Talking to your intended shop can be useful, but must be tempered with the knowledge as mentioned by others that they have their own agenda, want to please, accommodate, and get business. The Cozumel forum here is a excellent source of information as are the other geographic forums. Had you known the nature of DT in advance, you may have overcome any perceived peer pressure issues to ask for a different site - or at least had a light and DSMB with you. Gaining knowledge of local conditions as much as possible is the key, and led me to seek additional training before diving in Cozumel (I had my 14 yr old daughter diving with me at the time - great incentive to be cautious).

To answer you directly, yes, I think that properly trained, equipped, and informed recreational divers can be doing dives like this, but that casual, basic OW or even AOW divers without specific knowledge of this dive site and with proper equipment should not. I would not dive with any outfit that did not give detailed, site specific information about a site this challenging before bringing divers there, nor with a group that was clearly uninformed and lacked proper gear. I really don't want to test rescue training at over 100'. Yes, there was a way to anticipate the problems you faced - research on the popular dive sites, local conditions, and the best choices in equipment while planning the trip. I bet you look up lots of information about your next intended dive destination! Aside from this, well done handling a difficult situation, and for seeking information afterwards.

Safe diving,

scoobajay,

I am a huge believer in mixing in training with fun dives. For some things, such as rescue, I'd take that from more than one agency, as SSI and PADI do teach it a fair bit differently.

I haven't read these books, but I just sat in a talk with Steve Lewis, an instructor with TDI since its inception. You may want to consider picking up a copy. The books are:
Staying alive: Staying Alive: Applying Risk Management to Advanced Scuba Diving: Mr Steve Lewis: 9780981228044: Amazon.com: Books

Six Skills and other discussions: The Six Skills and Other Discussions: Creative Solutions for Technical Divers: Mr Steve Lewis: 9780981228020: Amazon.com: Books

It was a very interesting talk, and I would recommend hearing him speak if you ever get the chance. I'm not a tec diver (yet), but his lessons apply to all divers. I think there be some really valuable lessons in those books.

You did great. It is nice to know when you handle things fairly well. Keep diving, keep training, and I'll see you under the surface.

Kosta

scoobajay,

I haven't read these books, but I just sat in a talk with Steve Lewis, an instructor with TDI since its inception. You may want to consider picking up a copy. The books are:
Staying alive: Staying Alive: Applying Risk Management to Advanced Scuba Diving: Mr Steve Lewis: 9780981228044: Amazon.com: Books

Six Skills and other discussions: The Six Skills and Other Discussions: Creative Solutions for Technical Divers: Mr Steve Lewis: 9780981228020: Amazon.com: Books

Good call wetb4igetinthewater,

I have read Six Skills many times over and it is indeed a book applicable to all divers. Another must have on every diver's book shelf. Haven't had a chance to check out Staying Alive yet but itching to get a hold of that as well. I'm a big fan of Steve Lewis' writing and regularly follow his blogs. We're very fortunate to have him here on SB (known as Doppler).

Thanks for being willing to write about your experience and open yourself up to criticism from other divers. It is only a matter of time/logged dives before most divers experience something that is outside of their comfort level.
I am approaching 300 dives, and feel I had great instructors who were very thorough for both my OW and AOW courses. My partner and I did probably over 100 dives before carrying a SMB routinely on our dives, so I am not convinced that this detail is always stressed by OW and AOW instructors. After bobbing on the surface with no boat in sight due to an inexperienced boat driver, (Belize) and being separated from the group in Cozumel and surfacing, and later diving often in Hawaii where they are required, we don't ever dive without our safety sausages. The same can be said about a dive light....I used to pick and choose when I took it along, but now like to attach it to my BCD and always have it.

We did the Devil's Throat dive before, and in our briefing we were definitely told we would want to have our flashlights. I enjoyed the dive, but wouldn't have wanted to do the dive without a light.

I'm going to tell a story from a recent dive and I'd like to hear some various feedback. I'm pretty aware now of what I should have done differently, but I'd also like to know if you think the DM should have done anything differently?

I'm AOW with about 100 dives (mostly vacation). I recently went out with a dive op that I know and trust implicitly, although with a new DM I had only dove with once the day before. On the boat were myself and two other customers (one of which was very advanced and one who had been certified OW a few days earlier but picked up on diving easily-these two were buddies and had been diving together all week).

The DM told us we'd be diving Devil's Throat. This is in Cozumel and I'm sure many of you are familiar. If not, it's a series of tunnels ranging from 130 to 80 feet-some very dark and pretty tight, others bright and fairly open with an exit in view (at least in the area we'd be diving). I mentioned that I had never done this dive but that I love swimthroughs and I had no nerves about it whatsoever. This was true-I was really excited! We had done some swimthroughs the day before and I was just raving about them. As long as they are nice and open and there is a clear exit, I do just fine and my buoyancy is pretty good.
He gave a briefing and was adamant that we double checked our air, hoses, gauges, etc. because this was a very precise dive plan and everything needed to go perfectly.

We descended immediately on the reef and all was good. As we neared the entrance to the 'tunnels' the instructor checked to see if we were all ok and I gave the sign. He motioned for me to slow down and reduce my finning. All was fine, no nerves. He started into the first tunnel and I followed after. I saw one tunnel to the left which was bright and well lit, and another tunnel to the right which was completely black and just big enough for one diver to fit comfortably. The DM had a flashlight, I did not. I began to follow the DM as he turned on his light and swam in-I could only see blackness aside from glimpses of the walls where his light shown. The entrance was way tighter than I was comfortable with and I quickly realized that I could not see an exit or any light. This is the point where I started to feel uneasy. As he went further in, I made an abrupt decision to turn around. There was just enough room for me to pass the other two divers and as I did, I gave them the signal that I couldn't do that swim through and I was going out. We all made eye contact and I gave them the "okay"

Now before you judge, let me tell you where my panicked mind was at this point..."I'm swimming into a dark overhead environment at 130 feet and I feel like I'm going to panic. I could swim further in and have a full blown panic attack in a place where I can't see an exit, or I can get out now!" I'm not saying any of this is logical, but at the time, fight or flight was making my decisions and I was truly on the verge of a full blown panic attack.

I swam back to the entrance and waited. I wasn't really sure if the DM would know what happened and what he would do, but I assumed he would look back and see that I had swum out OR I thought one of the other divers who knew what had happened would signal him when he turned back.

So I waited at the entrance for about 2 - 3 minutes fighting a full blown panic attack the entire time. As more and more time passed and no one came out of the cave I became more and more panicked. I started trying to calm myself and think through my options. I had 2500 PSI at about 100 feet and I was completely alone. I nearly bolted to the surface but I didn't have a SMB and I know there is a lot of boat traffic. I surely didn't want to risk being hit by a boat or left alone on the surface. YES, I now realize that would have been the correct procedure since I didn't have a dive buddy and had become separated from the group. I also knew that the DM said they would be in the passages for about 20 minutes and my thought at the time was that I didn't want to simply disappear and risk the DM thinking I was lost in the cave.

I remembered back to when I was first certified and I didn't want to do a swim through. The DM simply had me swim around and meet the group about 15 feet away at the exit. I watched their bubbles the whole time and followed them with no issue. I thought this might be the most practical thing to do so I started to swim over/around the reef looking for bubbles. Although I stopped panicking, i was still breathing pretty heavy and my heart rate was very high. I had about 1800 PSI and had been alone about 10 minutes with no sign of the other divers.

I looked in all directions and saw no bubbles or divers. Obviously they were still in the tunnels and either didn't know I was missing or were frantically trying to find me. The current was strong and I was being pushed North at a much faster rate than they would be moving through the still tunnels.

Soon I recognized a passage where I knew there was an exit-actually it was the only spot on that part of the reef where you would have to swim out and across a sandy bottom in order to keep moving North. I ascended just above the reef and waited, watching desperately for any bubbles. At this point I had been alone for nearly 25 minutes and I had about 1400 PSI. I was terrified but even more so I was embarrassed at the responsibility the DM must be feeling for me and for the incident. I knew I had made a huge error and I felt horrible. He was dealing with a lost diver in a cave system 130 feet deep and was probably fearing the repercussions.

Remarkably, I spotted bubbles about 50 yards away. The DM had the marker buoy deployed and it seemed they were headed to the surface. Once they spotted me, we all joined up, I signaled that I was scared but okay, and we finished the rest of the dive (ABOVE the reef).

Once we surfaced, the DM asked that we not discuss what happened until we were back on the boat. I apologized profusely and got a short lecture on why it is important not to break the dive plan. The DM also reiterated that he only took us there because we were experienced divers who could handle that dive.

Ok, let me have it....

[/COLOR]

Another book you may find invaluable is Scuba Confidential by Simon Pridmore. I love this book, not a training manual but covers many subjects divers will encounter in a sensible and informative manner. I got a lot out of it and would recommend it to all divers.

People have mentioned always having a flashlight. I always have two, but they never get in the way so I don't mind always having them. I keep them on my shoulder strap. They are bolt snapped to my shoulder d ring and then I use a bicycle inner tube to keep them from flopping around. Was shown this by a good friend. Here's a picture in case anyone else wants to copy. When you are diving you never feel them.

23dbb2d14f5bf2abaffccf37c26c8e42.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well, I'm very glad I posted my story and Thank You to everyone who contributed to the Thread. I have definitely learned some valuable lessons from the incredibly knowledgeable divers here on SB.

I will be purchasing (and learning to deploy) an SMB and a flashlight that will remain clipped to my BC. I will also do as much research as possible before any new dive site and not be afraid to say no to a dive site. I can't say I learned not to separate from my buddy or to ascend when separated from the group, as those were things I knew, but due to panic or stupidity :blush: I did not do. I do hope to extend my threshold for panic with more training and experience, and of course avoiding dark, enclosed swim-throughs at 130'.

BUT, I would also like to forewarn others of the advanced nature of this dive, Devil's Throat. Dive Ops will likely not stop visiting this site, so I think it's important for divers to recognize the name of this site as one to be more cautious of. I hadn't heard of it, didn't know ahead of time about the advanced nature, and therefore didn't really anticipate the types of questions I should have been asking about the details of the dive.

Thanks to everyone! Cheers!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom