Major ear issues

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I also asked him about a temporary tube in the ears as well so they could heal...he said no to that as well

Yeah, I would be very careful about tubes if this is your career.

Not sure where you are or where you have access to, but if you are in the US and want to PM me, I may be able to recommend an otologist for you. ENT is sort of a large field, but for something like this you probably should see someone who really specializes in ear disease.

Yeah, I would be very careful about tubes if this is your career.

Not sure where you are or where you have access to, but if you are in the US and want to PM me, I may be able to recommend an otologist for you. ENT is sort of a large field, but for something like this you probably should see someone who really specializes in ear disease.
Thanks..I am in Los Angeles...I'll pm you :) Yeah this is my full time gig...and not so full time right now with this mess

If you're in LA you might also try the UCLA or Long Beach Memorial hyperbaric units. They work with divers and probably have otologists they refer to.

Best regards,
DDM

I went to the House clinic today and they diagnosed it as Patulous Eustachian Tube. So everything the other docs were doing was completely wrong. The tubal-plasty did the opposite of what it needed...glad they figured it out....but wish they would have 8 months ago

Estrogen (Premarin) nasal drops and potassium iodide to start with. She wants to induce swelling.

I went to the House clinic today and they diagnosed it as Patulous Eustachian Tube. So everything the other docs were doing was completely wrong. The tubal-plasty did the opposite of what it needed...glad they figured it out....but wish they would have 8 months ago

Cindy, how did they arrive at that diagnosis?

Best regards,
DDM

@Cindy: SCARY read. And very interesting. Thanks for sharing. This is not to say I am solely on the "consumer side" here. Feel very much here for you and your agony three times over (pain/symptoms + lively hood endangered + live passion slipping away).
Very much wish you that it' going down (should I say "up"?) the right road now. Keep us posted.

@doctormike @ DDM:
Just great you guys find time and passion to chime in here every so often. Really!

Cindy, how did they arrive at that diagnosis?

Best regards,
DDM
They put me under an operating microscope. If you block one nose and breathe through the other, the eardrum will bulge. She also said these I why I got relief from the chamber and why I felt better at depth.So pretty much every steroid I took ( which was a lot) every decongestant pill, was opening an already to open tube, making it feel worse. The crazy thing is it mimics barotrauma unless you're familiar with this. It could have been caused initially by TMJ, weight loss, age and then compounded by the ear infection and flying/diving.

@Cindy: SCARY read. And very interesting. Thanks for sharing. This is not to say I am solely on the "consumer side" here. Feel very much here for you and your agony three times over (pain/symptoms + lively hood endangered + live passion slipping away).
Very much wish you that it' going down (should I say "up"?) the right road now. Keep us posted.

@doctormike @ DDM:
Just great you guys find time and passion to chime in here every so often. Really!
Thanks :) If I didn't come here , I wouldn't have been steered to the House Clinic and getting the correct treatment now. She cleared me to dive. I am a little leery because I still feel pretty bad, but I am going to hop in this weekend and see how it goes. Starting with a pool session...just to play it safe. It is going to take a while to fatten the tube back up but...I seriously felt like I was losing my ****. I mean questioning myself if all the symptoms were even real or if I was turning into a crazy person.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom