Maintenance protocol for medical O2 regulators

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ChrisF

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
What is the recommended maintenance protocol for a demand valve regulator for medical O2 (like on a DAN O2 kit)? Do these things have to be periodically "O2 cleaned" like tanks?

My dive club at work has a DAN O2 kit that was purchased back in 1996. I don't think it's EVER been used for real. I've had the bottle hydroed and re-filled once in that time, but have never done anything with the reg other than periodically make sure that it still works.

Should I be worried about it going boom the next time someone tries to use it?

If it has never been used I wouldn't think so. As long as you keep the practice of checking it before each outing.

The fire department I'm on recently had ours blow an internal o-ring after about 5 minutes of use.... after discussing the situation with the manfacturer it was relized that servicing is recommended every few years (I didn't deal with the company - but will find out the suggested maint. schedules from the fellow that did the nex time I see him)......Luckily we run with 2 regulators for our o2 bottles or someone would have been SOL.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom