Mahogany Prison?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

crayolabarb

Registered
Reaction score
Doing more research last night I discovered that the NCL Spirit, that we'll be on a week from today, docks in "Mahogany Bay" in Roatan which apparently will be a $60 cab ride for the 6 of us in our family, TO any of the dive shops in the West End.

And that's after having to walk quite a distance up a large hill to the road.

I'm starting to really regret having decided to try to see and dive now from a cruise ship. It seems that the Cruise company is doing everything they can to keep their passengers from easy access to the REAL places and cultures of these wonderful places they are traveling to.

And, it also sounds as though if you don't make arrangements in advance for a cab, you may not be able to find one and will be stuck at the beach created by the cruise company.

Does anyone know first hand if there is a better, less expensive way to get to West End of West Bay or ROATAN from Mahogany Bay?

You would pay the same fare from the other Cruise Ship Dock at Coxen Hole. $10 per person is the going rate for travel from the east side of the island to West End.

You might be able to bargain with one of the cabs outside the gate a Mahogany Bay. Since we were only 2, we paid the $20 each way. But we were definitely rushed to make the first dive.

Actually, when you count lunch, cab, and tips for dive staff (I don't tip dive staff on cruise ship excursions unless they do something very, very special) the ship's excursion to Anthony's Key is not a bad deal. There have been relatively few complaints about diving with them since they try to separate divers based on ability and take them to appropriate sites. I am really considering using them next time instead of going to the West End on my own and have to rush like we did

Enjoy the Spirit - we certainly did.

We did AKR off the cruise ship and were very happy with them.
They pick you up and bring you back all included and then there is no problem with rushing to and from the ships.
The taxis are amall unless you can get a van if you decide to dive in West End on your own. Make sure you negotiate price before you get in the cab.
We stayed at FIBR last summer and they driver wanted $50 each way to The west end from southside of the island. Thanks to our spanish speaking friend that did the day trip with us we were able to get him down to around 20 each way...
Have fun and you willl love Roatan.
Depending on what time your ship comes in and leaves it can be tricky.

That's a good point ^ Six with any kind of gear is going to require two cabs or a van. All the cabs I rode in all week only had bucket seats in front - and they're small - like 4dr. Nissan Sentras. 4+ driver would be crowded.

IDK if he will want to just shuttle you back/forth - or what he'll charge, but you could contact Enrique and see what he can do.

We took a van from the West End to Barefoot Cay for $10pp each way. That's pretty standard.

If you aren't definite on the West End, Barefoot Cay is 5mins. from Mahogany Bay. But they're more per dive than the West End shops and somewhat isolated - the Cay is a semi-private island. Compared to the cruise excursion at AKR they might be cheaper though - IDK. 2tanks at BC is $100 plus tax and marine park fee ($5). 5 of you would probably mean your own boat.

Maybe you could walk to French Harbour after the dives and look around - it seemed walkable from there but we didn't try. They can also make arrangements for a van to pick you up at an additional charge. Cruise Ship Shore Excursions, Roatan 5 Star PADI Dive Shop

One other consideration is that after you dock, clear customs and walk up that hill, can you get cab(s) to the West End in time for the morning departure?

IDK about other operators but Coconut Tree Divers left promptly at 9AM. IIRC the only time we had a cruise diver on our boat was for the 1PM dive. Sometimes we came back between dives, other times not.

This is why I never do cruises. You get moved around like cattle to several locations and never get to see the actual place they stop. When I say 'actual', I'm talking about really spending time there, meeting locals, and hanging out in the hole-in-the-wall kind of places. So my suggestion would be to take a real trip there, not a pit stop on a cattle drive...

Back
Top Bottom