Magnitude 8.2 NORTHERN SUMATRA, INDONESIA

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The first one in December was 9.0... so the one that cause the huge tsunami the first time was about 6.7 times stronger than this one.

Cross your fingers anyway...

jonnythan:
The first one in December was 9.0... so the one that cause the huge tsunami the first time was about 6.7 times stronger than this one.

Cross your fingers anyway...

Quake hit at 11pm local time, so most divers should be out of the water.

MoonWrasse:
Quake hit at 11pm local time, so most divers should be out of the water.
And most beaches will be empty.. let's just hope the damage report is good and there is little, if any, loss of life.

I posted the full BBC report in Basic Scuba discussions (by accident! meant non-scuba stuff) edit - mods are fast is now in non scuba related.

But hope everyone's ok and damage is small.

Nauticalbutnice :fruit:

jonnythan:
And most beaches will be empty.. let's just hope the damage report is good and there is little, if any, loss of life.

I'd be oncered for the areas near the epicenter where the structures not destroyed on Dec 26 may have been substantially weakened then. This aftershock might bring down buildings left standing in the bigger quake.

Not an aftershock, this is a separate quake on a different part of the same fault line.

No tsunamis.

No effect here in Thailand at all. I felt a slight shaking (in Phuket) as I did on 26th December and was naturally worried that the same thing was happening again. But this has caused no tsunami and destruction is local.

USGS Web Site : http://earthquake.usgs.gov/

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom