magnificent urchin

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MMM

Staff member
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
I have been meaning to post a trip report of my last trip but haven't done so yet. But this was just so cool I wanted to share it:

The Humann ID book calls this magnificant urchin "rare" and usually found below recreational depths. I found it at about 60 feet right at the end of Tormentos and the end of Chakanaab (where the currents change direction). If I have ever seen one posted on this forum, I don't remember it.

Wow!! That is cool!!

What a gorgeous critter! Thank you for sharing your unusual find.

I found it at about 60 feet right at the end of Tormentos and the end of Chakanaab (where the currents change direction). If I have ever seen one posted on this forum, I don't remember it.

I know exactly where that is. What a handsome creature.

Beautiful photo, Marg! I think in this instance, that book is incorrect... these are not rare here, and are often found much shallower than indicated in the book. I occasionally see these shore diving, and someone recently posted a photo of one from in front of buccanos, where they were snorkelling.

Nice picture!
Does anybody know what that spherical "thing" in the middle of the urchin is/is called??
Some years ago, I was in Coz, and I saw a similar creature on the bottom. As I swam over it, about 15 ft. off of the bottom, I looked down and the thing in the middle looked like an eye-looking back at me. Creepy.
Thanks in advance for the info.

Does anybody know what that spherical "thing" in the middle of the urchin is/is called??
Some years ago, I was in Coz, and I saw a similar creature on the bottom. As I swam over it, about 15 ft. off of the bottom, I looked down and the thing in the middle looked like an eye-looking back at me. Creepy.
Thanks in advance for the info.

Um, I believe that is its anus.

Sea Urchin- Enchanted Learning Software

Mike - then it was mooning you.... :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom