Magnificent Manatees of Florida

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

spt29970

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Last week I had to go to a tradeshow in Orlando. I decided to go a day early and do something fun. I drove from Orlando to Crystal River and went snorkeling with the Manatees in the springs. Even though the Florida Manatee is endangered and there are only about 3000 left in the wild, you have a good chance to see them in Crystal River in winter. Manatees are very temperature sensitive, so during the winter the Manatee congregate in the springs, which are comparatively warm. This winter has been particularly cold, so in the Three Sister's Spring, we saw at least 75!

If you ever get a chance to do this, I highly recommend it. I went with "Bird's Underwater", who runs a professional, respectful operation. Here are a few of my images from a morning with the Manatees. Click on the images for more details.

Enjoy!

Very nice!

Thnx for the pix

Very nice shots.

Awesome shots. It sounds like from your comments about each photo that you gave the animals the space and respect they deserved, good on ya. This has been a hard winter for them.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom