Magnet on the Inon D2000 strobe

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Durwin99

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I just want to make sure I'm following the (confusing) D2000 manual correctly here... the magnet supplied with the Inon D2000 strobe must be installed if you want to use a camera without a pre-flash and the strobe in External Auto (dial in the aperture) or full Manual modes? So, if I want to use my Canon S95 in manual flash mode when in Aperture priority (Av) or in full manual mode (M) then I need this magnet installed. And as I understand it, putting the strobe into either sTTL or sTTL-Low modes over-rides the magnet setting anyway...

So, I'm venturing out for my first holiday with the brand new S95/RecSea/D2000 setup; I think I will put the magnet in permanently, and shoot in Av mode/auto flash on the camera and sTTL/sTTL-Low on the strobe, to start with, so I get familiar with it without having to adjust much. Then, when I'm up for it, I will switch the camera to manual flash in Av mode, conserve some battery power, and use Ex-Auto on the strobe... then I can experiment with full Manual on the camera and strobe. Does this sound right? No need to mess around with the magnet then AFAICS?

BTW, I love the modelling light on the D2000, can see it being useful when you want to light something up quickly or on a night dive - I also have the -0.5 diffuser but I know for sure I'm going to lose that little red plastic filter that you're supposed to use in macro or to prevent critter fright, if I don't have it permanently screwed in - can't have it both ways I guess <sigh>

Many thanks guys,
-Durwin

I just want to make sure I'm following the (confusing) D2000 manual correctly here... the magnet supplied with the Inon D2000 strobe must be installed if you want to use a camera without a pre-flash and the strobe in External Auto (dial in the aperture) or full Manual modes? So, if I want to use my Canon S95 in manual flash mode when in Aperture priority (Av) or in full manual mode (M) then I need this magnet installed. And as I understand it, putting the strobe into either sTTL or sTTL-Low modes over-rides the magnet setting anyway...

So, I'm venturing out for my first holiday with the brand new S95/RecSea/D2000 setup; I think I will put the magnet in permanently, and shoot in Av mode/auto flash on the camera and sTTL/sTTL-Low on the strobe, to start with, so I get familiar with it without having to adjust much. Then, when I'm up for it, I will switch the camera to manual flash in Av mode, conserve some battery power, and use Ex-Auto on the strobe... then I can experiment with full Manual on the camera and strobe. Does this sound right? No need to mess around with the magnet then AFAICS?

BTW, I love the modelling light on the D2000, can see it being useful when you want to light something up quickly or on a night dive - I also have the -0.5 diffuser but I know for sure I'm going to lose that little red plastic filter that you're supposed to use in macro or to prevent critter fright, if I don't have it permanently screwed in - can't have it both ways I guess <sigh>

Many thanks guys,
-Durwin

I think you mostly understand correctly.

N

I hadn't seen either of those articles before so thank you! The first has a better description of exactly what the Advanced Cancel Circuitry does (I didn't realise it creates a stronger pre-flash so the camera adjusts its strength down for the main flash...) and the backscatter article information was very useful and easy to remember! That obviously wouldn't be ideal in EA mode as the flash has to be pointing at the subject for correct metering, but for Manual mode and I guess sTTL it would be good.

Thanks again!

Many thanks guys,
-Durwin
Hi, I have just bought myself a Canon-G-12 and have 2 Inon D-2000 strobes. The easy way prevent losing the red disc is to clip it on to the inside of the diffuser, that way, if it drops off, it drops off inside, between the diffuser and the strobe face, not into the ocean. I was told by the dealer who sold me the Inons NOT to install the magnet. So now I am rather confused by your post. Any feed back you have on the settings you use for your Canon S-95, after you have used it I would be interested in reading, as both the S-95 and the G-12 are very similar. Thanks.

I believe in Canon Cameras G and S series, the magnet should be on if you are shooting Manual. On sTTL it is overridden and does not matter. Am not so sure about Ex-Auto. I believe Nemrod uses Ex-Auto a lot and leaves his magnet on. I leave my magnet on my S200O because I shoot Manual all the time.

+1 for leaving the magnets in - i think the magnets are only useful for cameras that pre-flash (which the S95 and G12 do NOT). I shoot with 2x D-2000s.

On Aperture / Shutter priority, i usually use STTL mode in order for both systems to work together to determine the right amount of strobe / exposure by itself - usually done when i know what i am shooting, or i want depth of field control (or try)...

When i am on manual mode on the camera, i switch to manual mode on the strobes and take practice shots of subjects at varying depth/lighting conditions and change the power output of the strobes accordingly - usually i do this when taking macro (easier to photograph/more time to change settings) or when trying to capture blue water exposure in water columns.

In both cases, when the magnets are engaged, the strobes function as intended.

I believe in Canon Cameras G and S series, the magnet should be on if you are shooting Manual. On sTTL it is overridden and does not matter. Am not so sure about Ex-Auto. I believe Nemrod uses Ex-Auto a lot and leaves his magnet on. I leave my magnet on my S200O because I shoot Manual all the time.

In External Auto the magnet should be installed if the camera is set to no-preflash via selecting manual camera strobe (power levels) in Av/Tv camera modes. The sTTL selection on the D2000 overrides the magnet switch, it has no input in or out.

N

I did comment on someone else's post regarding the use of the magnet and my post-trip experience of using the S95/Inon D2000 - rather than copy it all here, you can try this link http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/canon-corner/379378-advice-settings-s95-inon-s2000.html#post5855386 or check my profile for a post on April 22 2011... In short, I left the magnet in and mostly shot Manual on the camera, camera flash and strobe!
Thanks Ambertiger for the advice on the diffuser red filter, I could try that - I was more concerned with needing to take it off mid-dive but TBH I found the modelling light was pretty visible even in full daylight with the red filter, so I left it in permanently.
-Durwin

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom