MagicShine MJ-876 worth it?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SuperMiguel

Contributor
Reaction score
So i been using my Hollis 3x for a bit, and now days im going deeper and darker and sometimes my 3x dont cut it.. I dont think im doing enough diving to consider a canister light. But i just saw this MagicShine MJ-876 says 1200+ Lumens for about 2.7H.. They do look a bit bulky.. So im wondering are this things worth it??

Last edited:
I have an earlier version that uses a different battery.

Think of a 2 D cell Maglight with a dose of steroids added. The light will fit in an accessory pouch that has generous sizing for dive slates. A Zeagle expandable pouch works very well.

I love mine and have gotten past a couple issues with the light. Other people have had problems regarding durability and flooding (orings too big and soft that are easy to damage). Tight beam that is great for punching through muck, but useless for photography.

Since the light has three brightness levels, my bet would be that the 2.7h would occur on the lowest setting.

Bang for the buck, not a bad deal. The Chinese are getting a lot better about LED dive lights each year.

so 2.7H is at lowest setting ? that sucks They have a sale on them for $99... My hollis 3x was around that price hopefully this will perform better.

On high power, mine is good for around a hour. The light I have uses the 32650 battery (2) and the one you are looking at uses the 18650 battery (6). The bright side is that 18650 batteries are dirt cheap and their performance is improving each year. (32650 translates to 32mm wide by 650mm tall. A 18650 is a AA battery on extreme steroids)

I have bought lights from novaeproducts before and they were great to work with. Drop him some questions and I am pretty sure you will get straight answers

I have the same model as Driftwood (an 850), with the problems he cited. But I suspect the burn time of 2.7 on high may be correct. My older model did over 5 hours, mostly on the low setting, with no sign of letting up. One other problem I had is service. Multiple emails to Magicshine went unanswered. If anyone has a way to contact for service (parts), I would appreciate it. It is a powerful light but a crapshoot on quality and service.

i got one from novaeproducts yesterday, $99 is not that bad, and if it performs better than my 3x ill be happy with it... I sent 3 emails to novaeproducts without response... not sure if i should be worried.

I have the same model as Driftwood (an 850), with the problems he cited. But I suspect the burn time of 2.7 on high may be correct. My older model did over 5 hours, mostly on the low setting, with no sign of letting up. One other problem I had is service. Multiple emails to Magicshine went unanswered. If anyone has a way to contact for service (parts), I would appreciate it. It is a powerful light but a crapshoot on quality and service.

Between the two of us we could make a decent light. I got the better electronics and you got the better batteries.

On another note, there are two different 32650 batteries being sold. One has a positive contact that looks like a c or d cell and works in the 850. The other has a much bigger and flatter positive contact and will need to have a button soldered on it to make it work.

So I just got an email from nova saying that even tough he says he has the lights he really doesn't and that he may get them on Friday so I just asked for my money back and got refunded

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom