Made My Own Camera Weight System

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

realdiver7

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
OK, so I didn't want to spend the $25 on a set of camera weights to make my Canon A720IS 8mp camera and housing neutrally buoyant in the water, so my Sunday afternoon project on this cold, wet and dreary day was to pull out the old tools and make my own weight set. It's not that $25 will break the bank, but it's just the principle of buying something when I can make it that bothers me. I take much better pictures when my camera is more steady, and it is much more steady and easier to use when it is weighted, so I believe a weight system is important.

I used a Dremel tool, an electric drill, a drill bit, four metal arm plates from two sets of magnetic welding holders, one round stainless bolt, two spacer washers, one lock washer, and a small zip tie. The metal plates already had a hole in the end of each one, so I used that hole to zip tie all of the plates together.

As you can see in the pictures, I cut the four metal plates in half, grinded the rough edges down to make them smooth, and ended up with eight flat metal plates. I then drilled a hole in the middle of each plate for the bolt, inserted the bolt with one spacer washer against the camera housing, and one spacer washer and one lock washer against the head of the bolt. I snugged down the bolt and the job was complete.

The lock washer is very important to help keep the bolt from working loose over time, and I have always checked the bolt on my older camera before diving. By the way, my old weight system was a heavy lead weight attached to the bottom of my 35mm camera housing with a bolt and three spacer washers. It worked OK, but the camera was always very buoyant, so this new project works better, is much nicer and more versatile.

I included extra spacer washers in my package and extra zip ties in case I need to remove some of the plates to make the unit lighter. I don't know the exact weight of the plates, but all I have to do is unscrew the bolt, remove some plates, and add some spacers if I need to adjust the weight. I won't know how much weight I will actually use until I try it in salt water in a week or two.

It could have been much neater if I had the right cutting tool with a larger cutting blade for the metal plates, a real grinder and some red enamel paint. Regardless, it still works very well, and the camera is well-balanced with the weights in place. There are no sharp edges to snag anything, and I am satisfied with what I have done, using the only basic tools that I own, even though the end product looks like a wide pack of chewing gum from one end!

It's not pretty, but it works, and I saved $25 and learned something all in about 1 1/2 hours! I hope this tip will help others.

Attachments

• Weights 002.jpg
    Weights 002.jpg
    51.5 KB · Views: 156
  • Weights 003.jpg
    Weights 003.jpg
    59.1 KB · Views: 140
  • Weights 004.jpg
    Weights 004.jpg
    53.7 KB · Views: 123
  • Weights 006.jpg
    Weights 006.jpg
    49.5 KB · Views: 97
  • Weights 008.jpg
    Weights 008.jpg
    51.9 KB · Views: 112
Thanks for the feedback. I don't know if anyone has tried this before, but I doubt it's a new idea. Would be interesting to see other designs.

Of course, you are NOT the first one who has this DIY done.

Check out this post. You can save a lot of time as well.

Me, I got the genuine Canon weight kit... LOL~~ I have already lost the plate and screw.... :(

Hoosier.....thanks for the link to the other DIY project. I was almost sure this had been done before by someone else. Wish I would have thought about fender washers because that would have been much easier. I just didn't think the washers would be heavy enough, but they must be, and they make a nice compact, easily adjustable package.

Hoosier.....thanks for the link to the other DIY project. I was almost sure this had been done before by someone else. Wish I would have thought about fender washers because that would have been much easier. I just didn't think the washers would be heavy enough, but they must be, and they make a nice compact, easily adjustable package.

But, your design is almost close to the genuine one, retangular plate, not a round one.

I didn't even think about a lock washer (gosh, although we are usng BP kit all the time). A lock washer really helps?

In addition, I am wondering if there is anyway to mold this housing weight plate out of the lead shot. As you see, the each plate weight seems to be light compased to the genuine one that only comes with four plates. Two plates are more than enough for a fresh water.

Just my 2 cent.

The metal you choose should be as dense as possible in my opinion so the number of weights can be held to a minimum. Also, I was amazed at how light each piece of metal felt, but when I cut them in half and stacked them, they felt so much heavier. Lead would seem to be a very dense choice, but, of course there are a number of warnings out about handling lead on a regular basis.

I never used a lock washer for my old weight system, so it wasn't as secure. By adding one lock washer to my new setup, I believe I can really minimize my chance of losing the whole thing. It is a lot more secure, and the plates are held snuggly against the bottom of the housing so they don't rotate.

Thanks... I will try a lock washer next time.

As for the plate, yes, you are right. The Canon plate seems to be more dense. We might get the SS plate from McMaster.

As you read the thread I linked, actually I saw DIY before getting the Canon weight, but I ended up with the genuine one because of the rectangular plates. I know DIY one is much simpler solution ($2) though, it looks ugly to me. :wink:

Hi,

I have just bought the same camera and housing.
A friend of mine has made SS washers for the weighting.
Would you please be able to tell me what weight I need to use.?

The camera and housing are in the USA and I'm in the UK at the moment, so I cannot test.

TIA

Cannon Genuine weight system consists of four weight plates. Each weight is 55g/1.8 oz.

Don't forget to use a lock washer. :wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom