Made in the USA

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You got a point with the anti globalization. But they are anti everything including big business. The only thing big business is good for in their minds is a cash cow to pay them more welfare.
I personally don't buy into the leftist eutopia.
A person can be a protectionist and an anti globalizationist and not be a leftist.

Depends how you define left wing or right wing. Depending on where you live will define whether you see capitalism as left or right wing. It is quite silly to define people as left wing or right wing to be honest, I was mainly joking around when I said that last comment. People tend to have views from either side of the political spectrum. For example, being against 'big business' is a left wing notion, and these days it seems so is being against free trade (though this is not traditional) so from the few things you've said in this thread, and not knowing other things about you, I would consider you left wing :rofl3:

Back to topic... Sherwood in made is USA and is BULLETPROOF. Also, the aqualung (at least used to be) made is USA (also bulletproof).

However, back off topic. if we keep buying cr@p from china, our economy will only get worse.

Depends how you define left wing or right wing. Depending on where you live will define whether you see capitalism as left or right wing. It is quite silly to define people as left wing or right wing to be honest, I was mainly joking around when I said that last comment. People tend to have views from either side of the political spectrum. For example, being against 'big business' is a left wing notion, and these days it seems so is being against free trade (though this is not traditional) so from the few things you've said in this thread, and not knowing other things about you, I would consider you left wing :rofl3:

I'm going to have to leave this thread alone or it's going to wind up in the Pub!

OMG! I live in the most left state in the US and in the most leftist area of the left state, SF BAy Area. Believe me I know what a real leftist is and I ain't one of them!

Actually imports keep jobs in the US

So, then why is it, that with an engineering degree and 15 years' work experience, I can't find a job? Oh, yeah, they're all in Asia and India now...

It is actually interesting to note that imports from places like Asia + India actually stimulate the local economy in the US due to the fact they usually require more downstream processing where as imports from other Western countries can reduce employment in the US

And what sort of 'downstream processing' would that be?

Free and open trade is beneficial in nearly every single example to all involved but because the benefits are large but diffuse whilst benefits of propping up uncompetitive and inefficient industries are small but concentrated people don't realise this.

Great theoretical response, have a few examples? I can give you an example of why it DOESN'T work. My mother, forty years working as a seamstress, has lost her job because the company she worked for has decided it's 'more efficient' to have their products made overseas. Hey, good for them, but that's not helping my mother pay her bills now, is it?

So yea, it is not just about getting more people into jobs = better economy. It is about getting more people in to the *right* jobs - where the U.S has a comparative advantage, not just handing out money or trade protection to industries that will never ever be able to compete with overseas. It is also about knowing when it is better to import, where to import from and to buy from overseas.

We have an advantage with the 'right' jobs? What sort of jobs should I be looking for? Not that it matters, as our unemployment as reached near-record highs. Why? Oh, yeah, all the jobs are gone! Thank you, free trade!

The effects of trade protection was my thesis topic, so I find it frustrating to read of people who think it is as simple as buying from their home country when it comes to improving their local economies.

I buy something made in America, Americans keep getting paychecks, Americans spend their money in America. If they buy American-made goods, the trend continues. Next thing you know, more people are working and more people have money to spend. Yeah, I can see how that just won't work...

That is correct, 100% made in the US of A by my two hands. And I am 100% native born American.
I named it the Freedom Plate just so I could piss off all the leftists in California.
The only thing I can't vouch for is the stainless. Could be China, Germany, or USA.
If I had control over that it would be USA all the way.

FINALLY!!! An actual response to the original post! Where can one purchase a Freedom Plate?

I buy American wherever possible, it DOES keep Americans working, despite the theoretics and 'textbooks'.

However, back off topic. if we keep buying cr@p from china, our economy will only get worse.

Not necessarily. Depends what cr@p. Empirical data suggests that East Asian imports stimulate the U.S economy actually. Think about it, a lot of what is imported from East Asia are intermediate goods. What happens if these intermediate goods are not imported? The people who have to process them lose their jobs. Say everything is made in the U.S. even though it is cheaper to buy from overseas, then local U.S citizens will have to pay much higher prices and their real incomes will go down, however the small section of the economy that provides the intermediate goods will have higher wages. So, a small portion of the economy wins at a larger cost to the rest of the population.

Trade is not a zero sum game

So, then why is it, that with an engineering degree and 15 years' work experience, I can't find a job? Oh, yeah, they're all in Asia and India now...

Be better at your job and be more valuable to a company than the cheap labour available in those countries. Or move there and be an engineer. :wink: Just because you can't get a job doesn't mean that the rest of the economy should suffer by paying more for goods so that locals can be employed. I am a software tester so I am aware that my job can easily be outsourced so I just have to make myself valuable to a company given the vastly higher wages I demand. If I was an employer, I would most likely outsource testing. :wink: Eventually I will probably have to find another job, but I have kept my options open.

And what sort of 'downstream processing' would that be?

Look up 'downstream processing'. Also turning intermediate goods into final goods provides a lot of work to people who import from East Asia.

Great theoretical response, have a few examples? I can give you an example of why it DOESN'T work. My mother, forty years working as a seamstress, has lost her job because the company she worked for has decided it's 'more efficient' to have their products made overseas. Hey, good for them, but that's not helping my mother pay her bills now, is it?

Well it is more efficient actually. People who can offer the same quality of work at a lower price are better for businesses to hire. Textile industry is not something I would want my local government spending my taxes on to support as other countries can do it much cheaper. Do you think she is somehow owed a living? I don't think anyone is owed a living. People need to compete for work and be the most efficient and valuable to be hired. Basically there are always human costs when industries fail but I am a supporter of a minimum safety net for people in society and assistance to retrain in a job that is needed.

We have an advantage with the 'right' jobs? What sort of jobs should I be looking for? Not that it matters, as our unemployment as reached near-record highs. Why? Oh, yeah, all the jobs are gone! Thank you, free trade!

Oh please, free trade didn't destroy your economy. Your economy is always trying to avoid trading freely with others.

I buy something made in America, Americans keep getting paychecks, Americans spend their money in America. If they buy American-made goods, the trend continues. Next thing you know, more people are working and more people have money to spend. Yeah, I can see how that just won't work...

No, that is not how an economy works. There are many things that your country can not to do well. Therefore it makes sense to outsource those to allow people to focus resources on the things your country can do well. Welfare increases.

I think if the public was not so ignorant on the effects of trade, then economies would be doing a lot better as people wouldn't be screaming for protection all of the time.

Not necessarily. Depends what cr@p. Empirical data suggests that East Asian imports stimulate the U.S economy actually. Think about it, a lot of what is imported from East Asia are intermediate goods. What happens if these intermediate goods are not imported? The people who have to process them lose their jobs. Say everything is made in the U.S. even though it is cheaper to buy from overseas, then local U.S citizens will have to pay much higher prices and their real incomes will go down, however the small section of the economy that provides the intermediate goods will have higher wages. So, a small portion of the economy wins at a larger cost to the rest of the population.

Trade is not a zero sum game

I may be out of a job maybe, but i would have the satisfaction that a 5 year old didn't assemble my scuba regulator. This is not just about economics. If your friend isn't working at the dock unloading chinese cr@p, he will be a tradesman in a north american factory, installing machinery, maintaining the buildings, plumbing, electrical, etc. Soon enough, as things are going, we will be buying our houses, pre-built in china. Lots of people will have jobs importing them...

Back to topic... Sherwood in made is USA and is BULLETPROOF. Also, the aqualung (at least used to be) made is USA (also bulletproof).

Agreed, I love my Sherwood regulators!

The thing that angers me the most about buying these such products is the fact that the quality simply is not the same. Pull your heads out of the sand! The chinese are not supporting our economy, but we are sending them all of our hard earned money! Think when you buy!

The chinese are not supporting our economy, but we are sending them all of our hard earned money! Think when you buy!

No they are sending you their money actually and helping to support your economy. The U.S owes China well over $700 billion... edit: Sorry, I assumed you were American given we have been talking about the U.S! I don't know what the situation is in Canada with China. I have mainly focused on the U.S with trade.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom