Macror Photography & Lenses

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

KaylinQ

Registered
Reaction score
Hi all!
New to Underwater Photography (and Photography) started with Macro Photography. I am using a Nikonos F-60 with a 105mm or 60 mm lense in a Ikelite Houseing. I've attached a +6 close up lense to get closer shots. I also have a +5 lense. I was woundering...is it possible to attach the +5 and +6 together and take shots with this set up with either the 60mm or 105mm? Also what will happen? Will it be like having a +11? Will I be needing a differnt type of Dome Port than I am using now? Or am I simply trying to do something really wierd...lol Thanks! c,")
:rolleyes:

http://www.ladydiver.com/kaylinq

Yeah, I think you probably could put the two closeups together. Easy enough to tell - buy yourself a roll of 12 or 20 and burn it taking shots of a yardstick with little standup, numbered markers on it every 6" or so. Do this both on the surface and in your bathtub, b/c I'm sure that water will make a substantial difference.

Find out what distances are in focus. I'd guess you'll find a very narrow range at +11 and maybe narrow enough to make it impractical. Also, you may not get as good a results as shooting through a single +11 piece of (added on) glass. Let us know how your multiple closeups work.
Terry

Thanks Terry!

Sorry took so long to get back...went on a dive trip...c.").

Yes it does work! Still waitting for the pictures to get back...sometime today.

Did not do the yardstick or bathtub. Funny I didin't think about that. Though Bathtubs in the Philippines are scarce...lol. What I did find out though was that you have to be very close to what your taking a picture of. So close that actually the lense will practically bump whatever your taking a picture of. Does make things bigger but in the long run not worth it. Not much down there that will let you get that close to them to take a picture...lol. I'm sure if I someone came along with a camera that big and close to me I'd be a little worried too! Still waitting for the pictures to be developed. That will be one way to tell for sure. Was having problems with my Strobes this dive. But I should still be able to tell by the pictures. May just be a little blue and dark...hahaa! Think I'll stick to the 60mm and a +6 lense or just the 105mm. c,")

http://www.ladydiver.com/kaylinq :D

test test
EyeofaPeacockFlounder.JPG

Rooster, a man of few words!

One or two, depending on how you count them.

Well, think this needs elaboration. So I will add the following thought:

TEST

Joewr...

KaylinQ,
Yeah, I was kinda worried about putting the two together, but I thought the problem would be depth of field: that is the distance from front to back of what's in focus. Even though I'm a neophyte at U/W photography, I'm familiar with surface photos and I'm pretty sure no one is putting together +11's like you wanted to do. Still, you could take pictures of coral or something up real close - those things as don't move around very fast at least. Fish? That'd be a problem if you had to bonk them on the nose to get close enough to grab a picuture of them.

The trouble with closeup lenses at least on the surface is that front to back in-focus distance is too short to be interesting. I like to take pictures of wildflowers and a macro lens (different animal than a closeup) lets you have at least enough depth of field so the closest part of the flower is in focus at the same time the deepest part is also sharp. This is not a joke if you want sharpness all around and closeup lenses just don't make the grade. Underwater, which makes everything more difficult - including using a macro lens through a single lens reflex camera.
Why aren't there bathtubs in the Phillipines? I learn something new each day on this board.
Terry

hmm..almost forgot about this thread...lol

No bathtubs because it's a third world country and i suppose fresh water is scarce. Most of the population is not middle class...can't afford the bathtub and water to put in it.

The pictures did come out somewhat ok by the way. The edges were out of focus but the center was fine. Could use it for effects I suppose. Don't think I'll be doing that unless I want that effect...lol.

Thanks Terry!

Ps. nice eyeball's Rooster...lol

Hello! I have just recently discovered this discussion board and happy to have done so. Your equipment interests me because I use something similar (F70 inside an Ike) :wink: I have not seen anyone else use an SLR in an Ike in the Philippines. I have been using this set-up for more than two years now with a lot of trial-and-error. It has been quite a learning experience doing macro. After going through rolls and rolls of film, I am finally satisfied with the results. Now, I am thinking of trying wide angle with the same set-up but with the 16mm and 20mm. Also over-under shots. Have you tried it? I would appreciate to hear your experience :)

Welcome onboard to the discussion board ligpo2001. Sounds like you got a years experience head start on me. Only just started about a year ago myself. Some of the other lenses I use is the 105mm. Though not often as I find I need a steadier hand...and my buddies tend to swim away from boredom waitting for me...lol. Yes the wide angle...been thinking about trying that recently also...have not done any over-under yet. Some tell me you need a special lense...some say no...have not gotten to that point yet to figure it out. One day though! Most of our diving is done in Anilao. Every so often we take a trip here and there...This last month we managed to get to Coron, Palau, and Boracay. Heard Anilao had red tide at one point...though very much looking forward to getting back there. Where do you do most of your diving?

Not a lot of head start. Anyway, I am happy to share experiences with Nikon + Ike users coz issues tend to be similar. Also, I can empathize to the situation where your buddy gets bored. Experienced this a few times myself in the past. Now, I try to avoid those situations by getting a paid dive guide or do a "managed" solo dive. I have tried Anilao only twice - and found it too crowded with divers that it becomes difficult for the dive operator to provide the photographer the ideal requirements. Or maybe because of my limited visits there that I have not really found a right place to stay in Anilao. However, at least once a month, I dive somewhere in Batangas (not Anilao) where it is not crowded even during weekends. That way, I am able to focus on uwphotography. Your trips to different places sound really exciting, especially Palau! Is it a good place for macro?

I also use a 105. A 60mm half of the time, especially when taking pics of squid and cuttlefish at night. I find them very interesting and especially enjoy watching them change colors :) What are your favorite subjects? I would love to see your pics. Do you keep them somewhere in the web? Kindly update me on your wide-angle activities after you have decided to try. I plan to use a 20 and 16mm but would be very interested to hear your experience :)

Back
Top Bottom