Macro Wide Angle

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Searcaigh

Seahorse Wrangler
Staff member
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
I am mainly focus on macro and dabble with wide angle, however visibility here is never that great so my wide angle opportunities are incredibly limited.

I will be visiting North Sulawesi at the beginning of July and apart from Lembeh which will be 100% macro, Bunaken and Bangka will present themselves with suitable wide angle opportunities.

Murphy's Law states that when I change to wide angle I am going to see some nudibranchs that I have never seen before so I want to look at how to manage this.

I will be using a Tokina 10-17 with my D300 or D7100 and a small dome port on a Sea & Sea housing, the question is should I also fit a convertor and if so what is suitable for this lens? (also means adding an additional extension, which I intend to pick up in Singapore on my way to Sulawesi)

I always shoot manual but of course will have to use auto-focus with this lens, what are the preferred aperture shutter speeds to start with and bracket around?

Thanks all in advance.

1.4 converter works fine with D300 and 10-17 in a mini dome (mine is 4 3/4). On my dome I don't need an extension, but the converter adds I think 11mm, so you may need a short extension. Try it first in the pool without an extension to check your focus distance and corner focus and practice lighting.

Thanks Larry, which 1.4 convertor do you use?

Unfortunately I won't have the luxury to test anything until I am on my trip in 3 weeks. I should be able to pick up a 1.4 convertor but the extension will have to wait until I am in Singapore.

Kenko 1.4 DGX TC works on the Tokina 10-17

If you use Nauticam housing/gears, Nauticam has zoom gear for the lens with and without the TC. Also, with Nauticam you will need a 20mm extension ring. I expect S&S will be similar.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom