Macro photography with DC1000 Elite....please help :-)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ewaiea

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hey all,

I really do appreciate all your answers with regard to my DC1000, I think this camera really is alot of fun to use. It helps us real amateurs take some reasonably good photos! The DC1000 Elite comes with external flash and wide angle lense. I am just thinking logically here, but does this camera tend to take better macro pictures without the wide angle lense?

And....if so, do you like to get about 1-2 feet away from your subject (say a small nudibranch, snail, etc.) and then use the zoom? Or, does it work better to keep it zoomed out all the way and just jam the camera in as close as you can possibly get it? The latter does not seem to make a ton of sense but I'm just trying to get the most out of my camera and limited knowledge.

Thanks!

Eric

P.S. My strobe batteries died this weekend, so if you all are wondering, the strobe lasted me about 9 or 10 dives before the duracell AAs bit the dust. Does anyone else have different results? By the way, 9-10 dives is pretty good for how powerful this strobe really is....

Eric.

I don't have experience with the set-up you are using.
But, I can tell you that it is far better to NOT use a zoom at all and get as close to your subject as possible, The less water between you and your subject the better.

Using A zoom, Digital zoom or any other is something you want to steer away from!!

Also.. Can you get A Macro lens set up for that camera?
If so that is the way to go, And then .. Again get as close as you can, And then get closer:wink:

Hey all,

I really do appreciate all your answers with regard to my DC1000, I think this camera really is alot of fun to use. It helps us real amateurs take some reasonably good photos! The DC1000 Elite comes with external flash and wide angle lense. I am just thinking logically here, but does this camera tend to take better macro pictures without the wide angle lense?

And....if so, do you like to get about 1-2 feet away from your subject (say a small nudibranch, snail, etc.) and then use the zoom? Or, does it work better to keep it zoomed out all the way and just jam the camera in as close as you can possibly get it? The latter does not seem to make a ton of sense but I'm just trying to get the most out of my camera and limited knowledge.

Thanks!

Eric

P.S. My strobe batteries died this weekend, so if you all are wondering, the strobe lasted me about 9 or 10 dives before the duracell AAs bit the dust. Does anyone else have different results? By the way, 9-10 dives is pretty good for how powerful this strobe really is....
You can use the "macro" setting on your camera for macro shots. The instructions and experience state that zoom is not to be used in the macro setting. Do not use your digital strobe while in macro mode. The flash will go beyond the subject. Use the camera's flash

The above being said... I use the wide angle lens and digital zoom to take macro shots. Those settings work best for me and allow the camera more area to focus.

I get the shot flash correct and then zoom in for the image.

nudibranch51.jpg

nudibranch33.jpg

bumblebeeshrimp0903225.jpg

It is fine to shoot withthe wide angle in Macro setting as it allows you to get more of your subject into the picture. The nice thing about the wide angle being a "wet" lens is that you can take it off if you prefer while shooting Macro shots.
A little trick is that in tight spots and to help out with positioning the strobe is to step back about 10-12 inches from your subject and then use the OPTICL ZOOM (stay away from digital zoom) to get "closer to your subject. This gives more freedom on positioning the strobe for better lighting.
Someone commented on not being too far away as you want less water between you and the subject, this is true especially in less than ideal conditions .

As mentioned, the camera is easy to use and fun. You will learn your own way to handle situations and keep getting better shots!

Joe,
you mentioned a detail that i have discovered in my last dives.....the new Digital Pro Flash desing (larger body) does not allows you to take a macro shot very very close to the subject....am I correct?.... have you think in some modification of the arm in order to get more mobility for this new strobe head?

Best regards
Brino.

Brino,

My point was more to make it easier to light macro shots more evenly, I find it best to pull away a little. This helps to light macro shots.

However you bring up a very good point which we are working on as I write. As well as helping others out on the board, I am part of the R & D team here at Sealife and this has been something that we are currently exploring.

Brino,

My point was more to make it easier to light macro shots more evenly, I find it best to pull away a little. This helps to light macro shots.

However you bring up a very good point which we are working on as I write. As well as helping others out on the board, I am part of the R & D team here at Sealife and this has been something that we are currently exploring.
Fantastic!

If I could get a "true" macro shot with my SeaLife camera, I'd never switch brands!

I've been thinking about trying this as a solution to pics of nudibranchs and bumblebee shrimp

ReefNet Inc. | SubSee Adapter

I have been practicing with the wide angle lens on land and when I zoom it seams to blur. Is this an above water issue or do I need to change a setting?

Also - should I ever change the flash setting to match the focaus setting? ie macro focu and macro flash or leave flash on auto mode and only play with focal settings? hope that makes sense.

Using DC1000 elite setup.

I don't know about a land shot.

This shot was taken today

Wide angle lens and digital zoom.
Setting for strobe: Ext. Flash
Distance from subject: 1 1/2-2'
Subject length: 3/4"

Blue-Spotted Sea Goddess?
PICT00103.jpg

WOW!!! that is awsome. Nice shot and thank you! Saddly I am land locked and cant practice in H2O all that often.I need to practice more. It is becoming abundantly clear the limiting factor in my photography is my skills.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom