Macro lenses

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

smellzlikefish

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
I have a solid wide angle and have managed some decent standard range shots, but I keep struggling with small stuff and believe that a dedicated macro lens may be the answer. I currently shoot with a Ti and when aiming small I use the kit 18-55mm with a +1 or +2 close-up lens attachment. The subjects I have been shooting lately have been pelagic and gelatinous in nature making them difficult to shoot even with the right lens. I have some examples in my blog (see website) that are okay, but I am really going for some "pop."

So far, the lenses I have been looking at are the Canon 60mm, Canon 100mm, and someone mentioned they liked some obscure Sigma 70mm that I have yet to find for sale. I've also been toying with the idea of taking a 50mm (not necessarily macro) underwater. I'd love to hear some recommendations from those who have used these lenses.

I adore my Canon 60mm macro and wouldn't give it up for anything. It would be my first choice. Followed by the 100mm macro. You could flip those and be fine but I find my 60mm better for what I like to shoot and a little more versatile if I hit lower viz.

Great to see you back on the board, Alcina.

I'm considering upgrading to a T2i with Sea & Sea housing. Any comments, recommendations or thoughts on lens selection?

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

In general 60mm is going to be more versatile lens. It will be quicker to focus on most subjects, in most lighting. Good for "large turtle" and smaller subjects. The 60mm is best for those in water with lower visibility since you can cut down the distance between the port and the subject. On the other hand.....the 100mm will give you more working distance with shy subjects. In addition the 100mm is preferred when shooting super macro via adding Diopters and Teleconverters. If I had to choose just one it would be the 60mm. If you really want to focus on the truly small to super small and dive in high viz areas the 100 can work great. (or on full frame cameras)

Thanks for the replies. So far it sounds like the 60mm has it. Does anyone have experience with the Sigma?

NW-I've found a staple of my underwater SLR setup have been my super wide angle Tokina 10-17 mm, but then I actively seek out larger, friendlier subjects. It also makes for fantastic sea-scapes. It never fails to return at least one or two images that make you sit back and say, "wow..." The kit 18-55mm lens has served some purpose so far, but mostly for when the animals were too shy or too small for the wide angle. I try not to shoot at shy animals anyway since they take sucky pictures and as a macro, it is missing something.

Thanks for the replies. So far it sounds like the 60mm has it. Does anyone have experience with the Sigma?

NW-I've found a staple of my underwater SLR setup have been my super wide angle Tokina 10-17 mm, but then I actively seek out larger, friendlier subjects. It also makes for fantastic sea-scapes. It never fails to return at least one or two images that make you sit back and say, "wow..." The kit 18-55mm lens has served some purpose so far, but mostly for when the animals were too shy or too small for the wide angle. I try not to shoot at shy animals anyway since they take sucky pictures and as a macro, it is missing something.

Thanks ... wide-angle in Puget Sound often leaves something to be desired, due to particulates in the water. But I do plan on adding the Tokina lens to the initial purchase. Macro is far more common here, with some of my favorite subjects being less than an inch in length.

... and occasionally I'm lucky enough to catch a typically shy creature at a good time ...

IMG_2296.jpg

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Great shot Bob. I have the 60mm and the Tokina fisheye that I use on a T2i. I love 'em! I have the seen the Sea and Sea and it looks like a solid housing.

Often times the way to get a shy creature out for a photo is to turn off (or turn away) your lights and just sit still. If they decide you don't look like a predator ... and your'e not doing something that annoys them ... curiosity (or the fish-equivalent of it) will come into play.

Last Sunday I took a relatively new diver down to a place where I know there lives a juvenile wolfeel. While this little lady is somewhat acclimated to divers, she usually just sticks her head out of the pipe she lives in and doesn't expose much more of herself than that. Once at her den, I indicated to the diver that he should sit still and just watch. She was swiveling her head back and forth, watching us as we were watching her. After about 30 seconds, she came slithering out of the pipe, swam over, and thoroughly inspected each of us. Had we moved, or done something she perceived as a threat, she'd have been back inside her pipe in a hurry. But instead, she swam around checking us out rather casually. At one point, I slowly extended my hand out and she allowed me to gently run my finger down the side of her body.

The newb was thrilled. That's a pretty rare experience. The message was, shy critters are shy because that's how they avoid becoming someone's dinner. When they decide they're not on the menu, they're often pretty accessible. Up here, the best way to approach a shy critter with a camera is to turn off your focus light ... it startles them ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom