Mac is back

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm back.....from my 12 night southern Caribbean cruise. Only dived on two islands, St. Croix and St. Kitts.

Dived with SCUBA (St. Croix Ultimate Bluewater Adv) in St. Croix. The ship had mechanical problems so left the Ft. Lauderdale port 12 hours late. Was originally scheduled to hit St. Croix at 8 am but didn't arrive until 2pm. Fortunately another diver on our ship emailed SCUBA and told them about our late arrival. The put us on an afternoon dive boat and squeezed in two dives before dark. There were 3 ship divers and 8 locals. Dive sights were "Tide Bottle" and "Swirling Reef of Death". Both pretty good reef dives, lots of fish and colorful coral. SCUBA's shop is located right at the end of the cruise ship pier and their boat is on the pier itself. Both dive sites were within a 10 minute boat ride from the ship. My wife watched both dives from our balcony on the cruise ship maybe 1/4 mile off shore. SCUBA is a good operation and very accommodating.

The next day was St. Kitts with Pro Divers. 5 ship divers were walked 4 minutes to the marina next door. Met up with 7 locals. Again, pretty short boat ride out to the dive sights, maybe 1/4 and 1/2 mile from the cruise ship. First site was "River Taw" which was a wreck. The River Taw is in two pieces, bow and stern about 20 yards apart. There is also a bulldozer about 50 yards away and an artificial reef another 50 yards to the right of that. then about 75 yards back to the wreck. Lots of fish, rays, eels, colorful coral etc as we made the circuit. Second dive was called "Brimstone Shallows". It is only about 35' deep but is on the edge of a drop off into the abyss. As soon as we were in the water we were surrounded by about a dozen reef sharks. They swam over, under and amongst us the whole time. We did go down the wall aways and the coral was very colorful. Kicked up a couple moray eels and the dive master speared a Lion Fish and fed it to a shark. It was a pretty cool dive. If you go to youtube and search Pro Divers St. Kitts and those sites there are videos of those and other dive sites. They are pretty much what we saw.

Only dived on two islands, St. Croix and St. Kitts.
Glad you got some diving in. I enjoyed St. Croix on an 8-day 'dive trip disguised as a family vacation' (as my wife might say) some years back. I've never dove St.Kitts, but on a cruise ship stop was impressed with what a beautiful island it was, with some topside excursion options.

Strangely, I rarely read of anyone diving St. Kitts. When I do, it tends to refer to a live-aboard trip aboard the Caribbean Explorer II, which transits amongst St. Maarten (which I'm told it doesn't dive, which is odd, because there's said to be some good diving by that island), St. Kitts and Saba, and Saba tends to grab most of the attention.

I wonder whether it's worthy of greater attention, and just overlooked.

Glad you got some diving in. I enjoyed St. Croix on an 8-day 'dive trip disguised as a family vacation' (as my wife might say) some years back. I've never dove St.Kitts, but on a cruise ship stop was impressed with what a beautiful island it was, with some topside excursion options.

Strangely, I rarely read of anyone diving St. Kitts. When I do, it tends to refer to a live-aboard trip aboard the Caribbean Explorer II, which transits amongst St. Maarten (which I'm told it doesn't dive, which is odd, because there's said to be some good diving by that island), St. Kitts and Saba, and Saba tends to grab most of the attention.

I wonder whether it's worthy of greater attention, and just overlooked.
I was impressed by St. Kitts. There are about 2 dozen named dive sites and a bunch more unnamed ones. As I mentioned earlier go to youtube and search for Pro Divers St. Kitts. There are videos of a lot of the dive sites.

Some photos...

Here's SCUBA's dive boat on St. Croix

nYFd418.jpg

JCuLWUs.jpg

And Pro Diver's on St. Kitts

Some photos from the St. Kitts dive (sent to me by another diver)

Feeding a lion fish to a shark

There is at least two sharks in this pic, many more off to the diver's left.

oCj9LZV.jpg

And more sharks
qgIVoFk.jpg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom