Mabul or Kapalai?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

PJC

Registered
Reaction score
My girlfriend and I are planning a trip to Sipadan/Mabul/Kapalai in April or May. I have two questions:

1. Are conditions likely to be better in one of the months than the other? I have heard conflicting reports on this: I understand it rains a bit less in May but one post suggested visibility might be better in April. Are there any differences in the marine life?

2. Should we try to stay on Mabul or Kapalai? We are divers but also love snorkelling, so any views on which island offers better snorkelling would be much appreciated. We like the idea of the stilts resort on Kapalai but I'm a little concerned that it might get a bit claustrophobic after a few days not having any real land or trees around - would love to hear others' experiences.

Many thanks
PJ

I'll have a go at your questions

1. When I visited Sipadan the local DMs claimed that the best time of the year with regards to viz. is March...

2. I stayed on Kapalai and loved it - The rooms are large with a nice terrace and you can watch the fish swimming below (including sting rays, lion fish, trumpet fish...) - No need to go snorkelling ! And I didn't feel claustrophobic at all
Stayed on Mabul as well and it was very nice also - Here the attraction is more that you are on a tropical island complete with beaches, palm trees and fishing village...
Brilliant diving in both places.

Hope this helps

PJC:
My girlfriend and I are planning a trip to Sipadan/Mabul/Kapalai in April or May. I have two questions:

1. Are conditions likely to be better in one of the months than the other? I have heard conflicting reports on this: I understand it rains a bit less in May but one post suggested visibility might be better in April. Are there any differences in the marine life?

2. Should we try to stay on Mabul or Kapalai? We are divers but also love snorkelling, so any views on which island offers better snorkelling would be much appreciated. We like the idea of the stilts resort on Kapalai but I'm a little concerned that it might get a bit claustrophobic after a few days not having any real land or trees around - would love to hear others' experiences.

Many thanks
PJ
Hi PJ!

Well! I've been there in April & May before, it's not much of a different! April is better because it's less crowded, looking at the holidays in May.

I would suggest Mabul! It's a fantastic island and the resort's set up is very comfortable and nice. Infact Mabul has better house reefs, which you can snorkel when you're not diving! I'm actually planning to go there as well so I might see you there! :wink: I've attached one of my photo for your reference!

Happy Diving & Keep Those Bubbles Flowing!

Ed. :scubadive:

2. I was there in 1999 and stayed on Mabul island (SMART) - I loved to be able to walk around the island and have sand below my naked feet... Without doubt, the Kapalai resort looks very nice but I think I would have got a bit claustrophobic, too... Furthermore, I liked the swimmingpool area on Mabul with the open-air jacuzzi and the nice and comfortable sunbeds - don't know if they have that on Kapalai, too!

Gaby

PJC:

Many thanks
PJ

Hey PJ

I was there in May last year and viz was pretty good on most dives...having said that, viz is really one of those things that you can't really predict!

As for the Kapalai/Mabul debate - I would go for Mabul hands down...isn't Kapalai the converted sea container/oil rig thing? I thought that it looked like a prison from outside - it looks like lots of portacabins all piled up on one another. I didn't ever get to see it from the inside though...!

Abopp:
Hey PJ

I was there in May last year and viz was pretty good on most dives...having said that, viz is really one of those things that you can't really predict!

As for the Kapalai/Mabul debate - I would go for Mabul hands down...isn't Kapalai the converted sea container/oil rig thing? I thought that it looked like a prison from outside - it looks like lots of portacabins all piled up on one another. I didn't ever get to see it from the inside though...!

The converted oil rig is not the Kapalai resort; I think it is called Seaventure Dive Resort

Try the Mabul Water bungalows. They are new, owned + operated by SMART. Built on stilts, but they have AC (Kapalai does not)!

www.mabulwaterbungalows.com

They look pretty nice, planning on going there in Jan. 06.

J.

Many thanks to everyone for their useful advice. I've just booked the Mabul Water Bungalows for April. Will let you know how it goes...

Cheers
PJ

PJC:
Many thanks to everyone for their useful advice. I've just booked the Mabul Water Bungalows for April. Will let you know how it goes...

Cheers
PJ
Hi,

I have been with Smart in May and December last year.
You will be able to dive around Sipadan and Kapalai as well.
I can't imagine to get an island feeling on a facility like Kapalai. No sand, no palmtrees, etc.

If you are not filled up after three dives, just take your snorkel and check close to the Jetty. Smart offers free shore dives - try a nightdive on your own from the Jetty.

Use your bike you will be provided with at Waterbungalows and have a check to the other side, the older part of Smart and Sipadan-Mabul-Resort, and in the afternoon visit to the lovely kids at the village. Just a small walk from Waterbungalows to the right.

I really envy you - don't know if I can make it to Mabul this year. Next vacation will be Yokohama and Okinawa first.

I stayed 5 days in Kapalai last October. We had a great time and the benefit of Kapalai over Mabul is that because there is no foliage = there are no critters to bite!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom