M/V Galapagos Sky review

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

shiva

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
While there were some positive things about this Galapagoss Sky trip, honestly the service provided wasn't up to our expectations. In just 5 days our toilet leaked, toilet flush failed to work and, the most important one of the engines failed, which made us change the route and lose some of the dives (we had only 15 including the 20 mins check dive). We were not the first ones to deal with that, you can find other similar messages on tripadvisor forums. Nevertheless the problem keeps happening.

Also the general quality of service is below that of say Red Sea liveaboards (which are considered to provide poor service). No help with gear and fins from staff, general lack of enthusiasm and bad attitude from some of the personnel. Nevertheless, by the end of the trip they will insist on getting a tip that should be "at least 10% of the price of the trip".
As to the safety, on one dive we had a guide with some divers following him at 40 meters while breathing nitrox 32. That is ridiculous.

I can't compare to other liveaboards in that area but I have vast experience in different parts of the world and around 1000 dives under my belt and I have to stress that actual experiece aboard Galapagoss Sky quite contradicts the "luxury" image that they market.

We did contact the office but they refused to provide any compensation foк the itenerary changed and the dives lost due to the mechanical problem. Choose your boat carefully.

So so sorry, how disappointing for what should have been the trip of a lifetime.

If you can bear it , a review of the diving that you got in would be very much appreciated.

With best fishes for better luck in 2016 x

That was the only trip to Galapagos that I did so I don't know how good it can be and can't compare. Three dives were excelent - one at Wolf, one at Darwin and the best one at Isabela with mola-molas, seals, pinguins etc. The rest of the dives were not too impressive which as I understand is El Nino effect. Warm water, not too much current, easy conditions but not too much fish.

Back
Top Bottom