Lynx or not Lynx that is the question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Qasar

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Good morning all
I'm very impressed by the Lynx description and capacities, but I have a couple of CONs I saw that are preventing me to move for it. In fact I balance between the Lynx and Galileo. All the below is coming from this forum, the online manual and the simulator.
1. The OLED screen is unreadable under bright sun, if this is true it prevent to use it on the boat to change the settings or use the planing tool if you dive in a country with bright sun and lot of luminosity.
2. There are no audible alarms. Honestly for me an alarm is made to bring your attention to your computer when something is wrong. If you need to look at your computer to see an alarm it's introducing a lot of risk to miss one.
3. If you go to decco, the screen is only showing the decco level (depth) and not the time of this decco or the total ascent time with all stops (including the 3mn safety). So you can discover that you have 10mn decco when arriving at the decco stop level, once again this introduces some risks.
I would really appreciate if some of the lucky owners of the Lynx could help me to make my mind and answer these CONs (I obviously want to be convinced...).
Qasar

Good morning all
I'm very impressed by the Lynx description and capacities, but I have a couple of CONs I saw that are preventing me to move for it. In fact I balance between the Lynx and Galileo. All the below is coming from this forum, the online manual and the simulator.
1. The OLED screen is unreadable under bright sun, if this is true it prevent to use it on the boat to change the settings or use the planing tool if you dive in a country with bright sun and lot of luminosity.
2. There are no audible alarms. Honestly for me an alarm is made to bring your attention to your computer when something is wrong. If you need to look at your computer to see an alarm it's introducing a lot of risk to miss one.
3. If you go to decco, the screen is only showing the decco level (depth) and not the time of this decco or the total ascent time with all stops (including the 3mn safety). So you can discover that you have 10mn decco when arriving at the decco stop level, once again this introduces some risks.
I would really appreciate if some of the lucky owners of the Lynx could help me to make my mind and answer these CONs (I obviously want to be convinced...).
Qasar

You sound like you should be diving a Galileo.

Good morning all
Qasar

The display can be read in the sun as long as the sun is not directly reflecting off the unit. You can turn your back to the sun and create a shadow with your body.

If you are doing a dive that has so much deco that you need a TTS (time to surface) calculation, you should probably be diving with a technical diving computer like the Xeo.

As Dr. Lecter pointed out, a Galileo might work, as it has audible alarms, though it lacks many of the Lynx's other features.

Eric Fattah
Liquivision Products

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom