Luxfer cylinder and suspect

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

roswin

Reaction score
I recently bought a "second hand" aluminium cylinder made by Luxfer. Since the cylinder has been produced in 9/90 I started to interest about the lifespan of aluminium cylinder and so I got into the 6351 aluminium problem. Is there anybody who could help me in verifing the type of aluminium this cylinder is made of?
The entire code on the cylinder is:
CTC/DOT-3AL3000UV16882LUXFER09/90-S80
By the way, I live in Israel and so I don't know where this cylinder is coming from: USA, England...
Thanks a lot for your help:huh:

Wayward Son:
If it was made in 1988 or later it isn't at risk.
The 09A90 means that the cylinder has been produced in Sept.1990, right? The question is, since I live in Israel, this cylinder could come from the U.K where cylinder made of al 6351 has been produced till 1995. It may be?

That could be possible. That number looks like those from an American tank. Dunno if they're marked differently in the UK or not. They are in Australia.

The exemption numbers of the affected cylinders are 6498, 7042, 8107, 8364, 8422. That tank appears to be a US made tank after Luxfer discontinued the 6351 alloy. If it was a non US tank, the fill pressure (3000 in this case) would be something like M184. I'm sure a tank inspector will chime in here sometime, but I *think* that's correct.

It's got "DOT" stamped on it so it is a tank made to US DOT standards. Luxfer discontinued use of 6351-T6 alloy in DOT 3AL 80 cu ft aluminum tanks in mid May 1988. So if it is stamped 6-88 or later, it is not made from 6351-T6 alloy and is not suceptible to sustained load cracking problems and does not require the additional Visual Plus inspection.

if not sure get rid of it - it might be an terrorist trap :) - i will give you $10 for it to risk my life and find out.

Back
Top Bottom