luxfer 13 or 14 which is better?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Crewdog

Registered
Reaction score
Michigan, south of Port Huron (southern end of Lak
# of dives
0 - 24
Between a luxfer 13 and a luxfer 14 pony bottle? I see a little weight difference and buoyancy. Half a cubic foot difference in capacity. If you had to choose between a 13 or a 14 which one would you choose and why? Does one actually hold much more gas than the other?

Thanks
Crewdog

CylinderSKUService
PressureTrue
CapacityBuoyancy*
FullBuoyancy*
Half fullBuoyancy*
@ 500 psiWeight
EmptyOutside
DiameterCylinder
LengthLuxfer 6AL06 3,000 psi6.1 c.f.-1.4 lbs-1.1 lbs-1.0 lbs2.5 lbs3.2 in11.1 inLuxfer 13AL13 3,000 psi13.2 c.f.-1.7 lbs-1.2 lbs-0.9 lbs6.0 lbs4.4 in13.1 inLuxfer 14AL142,015 psi13.7 c.f.+0.8 lbs+1.3 lbs+1.6 lbs4.9 lbs4.4 in16.2 in

the 14 is a low psi tank.. Easier to cross fill from another tank with a whip on a boat. I think that is nice, but you have to be careful the shop monkey doesn't just slam it up to 3500 psi (unless you want a free hydro)

Almost all 14's we sell are for Argon. As stated above it allows for crossfilling and getting the most from the decantiong Argon bottle without having to boost.

If using as a bailout I would recommend the 13 as it is appreciably smaller.

The 13 cu-ft tank is 3.1 inches shorter, how that makes a difference for a typical pony mount, I'm not sure? I seriously doubt having a slightly longer pony will affect drag. I have 2, 13's and one old 14... If I had to make a choice I would probably get another 14, but the difference is really minimal. The biggest difference is probably the bouyancy issue, the 14 (with a regulator) will probably be very nearly neutral, while the 13 (with a reg) will definitely be negative and may require an adjustment in the way that lead weights are configured for optimal balance (maybe a 3-lb weight on the other side).

Back
Top Bottom