Lumens for primary?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I dive with a 10W DR HID light and I love it. I dive almost exclusively in low viz texas lakes and it works like a champ, during the day as well as at night. It's beam really cuts through murky water. As someone else already mentioned, you can pick them up for a good price ($250-350 range).

issue is that they gain you nothing over the backup lights other than slightly longer burn time. The backup lights in the last year have really just exploded in terms of functionality, it's scary how much they've changed.

That's exactly what I'm talking about. I even used the high beam-in-fog example earlier in this thread when I asked this question.

High beams in fog make it harder to see. So, if I have a choice of a really bright 8 degree beam or a less bright 8 degree beam, in turbid water, is the really bright beam going to create more glare from the backscatter and actually make it harder to see?

Note that high beams are more about the axis angle that the light is cast (they point UP more) rather than the absolute beam angle or how bright they are. They point "higher" so project further down the road.

You can easily obviate much of the backscatter "glare" issue by moving the light further off axis from your eyes. (ie "hold it lower") This is exactly why "fog lights" are located lower on the front of your car... since they are pointed at a different angle than your eyes... less of the light reflects directly back to your eyes.

issue is that they gain you nothing over the backup lights other than slightly longer burn time. The backup lights in the last year have really just exploded in terms of functionality, it's scary how much they've changed.

I kind of don't think DGX600 can output the same light as 10W HID. DGX600 is a 300-350 lumen light at what 8 degree?? For that matter, any non canister Cree XML LED output about the same. 10W HID will output 600-700 lumen with a light saber beam. So in low viz, I would say 10W HID will still win. Not that I will recommend spending $300 on a DR 10W HID. I think you can easily find good condition, relatively new battery LM 21W HID for $650. If I am on budget, I will not hesitate to get one. LM HID bulb is also not as fragile as people think

I was basing the DGX-Max at putting 600 out the front which is what they're quoting, vs the Dive Rite RX1 which was fairly recent quoting about 500 lumen, and the 8* is actually quite tight. I've used similar lights for signaling and am actually moving my canister to my helmet with only backup lights on my hands.

Whether you like more light or less in murky conditions is very subjective. All turbid water is not the same. So why not get a bright light that can be adjusted? Many of the LED lights have 2-3 power levels. By adjusting both power and the angle and position you aim the light you should be able to find a sweet spot.

iPhone. iTypo. iApologize.

Resurrecting an old thread. What do you guys think about the new DRIS 1000 lm hand held light that's powered by 3 C cell batteries? It's selling for $60. How does it compare with the DGX 600?

Back
Top Bottom