lp120

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

IndyScott

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I am thinking about getting a lp120 with a h-valve. dose anybody have a opion on this? Scott

That's a beast of a tank... why do you need so much air?

You have to be comfortable with the weight, inasmuch as they weigh 1.5 hernias when full. Without setting off an argument about isolation manifolds, it's almost like diving small doubles.

I have a pair of them and use them regularly. Mine are O2 clean and I still need to watch my bottom time. If you're diving recreationally, you'll get to be the first in & the last out on every dive. You may even be able to avoid the need to switch tanks between dives.

Steven

I bought them intending to keep them as singles, although who knows what the future holds?

I've got a set of HP100's and a set of LP104's doubled, with ready access to fills there hasn't been much need (or desire) to blow out my L4-L5 disk. If I needed the air, I think I'd rather add a stage to one of the existing sets...

Steven

Think they'd be noticeably worse than the 104s, eh? Mine are fairly manageable, and I've been wondering if I should've gotten the 120s.

Maybe I'll leave them doubled and get a single 120....

These figures don't include any hardware or other gear...

PST LP 104's = 107.13 lbs.
  1. Two tanks at 45 lbs. per tank equals 90lbs.
  2. 104 cubic feet (c.f.) of air, plus a 10% overfill, times two tanks = 228.8 c.f. air. 228.8 times 1.198 (weight of air, in ounces per cubic foot at 70 degrees Farenheit) divided by 16 (back into pounds) equals 17.13 lbs.
    [/list=1]

PST LP 120's = 119.77 lbs.
    1. Two tanks at 50 lbs. per tank equals 100 lbs.
    2. 120 c.f. air, plus 10% overfill, times two tanks equals 264 c.f. 264 times 1.198 divided by 16 equals 19.77 lbs.
      [/list=1]

Boy, am I going to be embarrassed if my numbers are wrong! This isn't as big a difference as I thought it would be, but at these weights every 10% or so counts. What do you suppose the impact of HE added to the mix is?

What's really scary is that with valves, bands, BP & wing, regulators, environmental suit, light, miscellaneous doodads, even the guy diving 104's is climbing out of the water with something like 140 to 150 DNA unravelling pounds of gear on his back. Yikes! I'm going back to my AL80's...

:wink:

Steven

My PST 95's (tanks, manifold, bands) weigh 113 lbs full. My OMS 85's weigh 85 lbs full.
Rick

I cant aford a set of doubles right now and did not know what would be better. To buy a 120 Or just a 108.

I do a lot of deep dives. Scott

My primary tank is a LP 108, good all around tank, little heavy, but I'm 6'4", so it's not a big deal. Doubled up, it would be some work, but for OW Gulf dives, it works great. I use it for spearfishing, usually 70-120'.

I hear that some people overfill them, making them 130-150cf, not that I would recommend that, of course.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom