Lp 95 2400 psi?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Everyone has been right on about the fills. One other thing to consider is the weight and buoyancy characteristics. The LB 95 will be - 1 empty. A HP 100 will be -2.5. The HP 100 also weighs about 10 pounds less than the LP.

To echo what Howard said - not all cylinders are the same so one needs to check the mfg specs. And even then you need to look at the specs carefully as some are with a valve while some are sans valve. For instance, my Faber LP 95 is 3 pounds heavier than a Faber HP 100 but buoyancy wise it is -5 versus -8 for the HP 100. I can not remember the spec for Worthingtons. But this example gives you the general idea.

Last edited:
Why a LP 95/ 2400 PSI tank vs a HP 100/ 3442?

What purpose does a 2400 PSI tanks serve?

By reading the volume (95) by rated pressure (2400) it takes 2400 psi to give you 95 cu ft of gas. To get 100 cu ft on a HP 100 you have to be able to get a HP fill of 3442As long as you can get that fill you can get 100 cu ft of gas. If the shops you use limit their pressure to less than 3500, than LP bottles may serve you better as their banks may be down at any given time. That is the homework you have to do on your own to decide which is better for you.

We generally monitor our gas by psi as it goes down. But the actual volume is based on its psi rating. A LP 72 at 2250 is 72 cu ft. An al 80 is 80 cu ft (alright 77.5) at 3000 psi. I think that is what you are asking. So at 2400 psi you get 95 cu ft of gas. So at 2400 psi you would get 95 cu ft, but at 3000 psi you would get less than 100 cu ft on a HP bottle as it takes 3442 to obtain the rated cu ft.

As Howard, and others have said, each tank has different characteristics. I sidemount Faber LP 85 and 95's and love them. When I dived doubles (caves / freshwater) the same 95's were great. I cannot comment on offshore characteristics, but I have learned that it is more "me" than the tanks that make diving easier or harder. The old Heiser's were anchors, but most tanks out there are divable and practice makes them dive how you want them to dive. It depends on what you want to do with them and how much you dive with them.

Actually, The LP72 needs to be overfilled by 10% to 2745 psi (legal if it has a plus stamp) to hold 72CF and the LP95 would need to be overfilled to 2640psi (also legal if it has a plus stamp) to hold 95 cubic feet. 3442psi HP tanks only need to be filled to their stamped pressure to hold their rated capacity.

Like several people have said, you need to check the specs. because different manufacturers have different specs but once weighted to the same buoyancy, HP tanks will ALWAYS be lighter and smaller than LP tanks of the same capacity, especially when you include the trim weights.

Why a LP 95/ 2400 PSI tank vs a HP 100/ 3442?

What purpose does a 2400 PSI tanks serve?

If you have a LDS who will overfil the LP95 it is a good choice otherwise a LP95 does not make much sence mostly from increased drag. You would be surprised with the differnce between 7.25" vs. 8". I love the HP 100 especially since several local LDS's ovefill by 10%...

Back
Top Bottom