Low volume vs 'normal' mask

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

HAWK-EYE

Registered
Reaction score
My son and I are having a discussion about the volume aspect of masks. We do dive (not as much as we should) and also snorkel. I am using in the market for a new mask for an up coming trip to the Bahamas where we plan to dive a few times but spend a lot of time snorkeling and pole spearing fish and lobsters. My son says low vol all the way, snorkel and dive. I'm concerned about the mask under pressure when we dive.

Any advice from the knowledgeable is welcomed.

Hawkeye

Hawkeye - there's plenty of low-volume masks that are certified/suitable for scuba diving. Free-diving masks have to cope with the same pressures as divers. There are some cheapo snorkelling masks around (normally sold by toyshops or beach vendors along with plastic buckets and spades for children)- but they're not what we are talking around.

In Europe, masks have the CE rating for diving - meaning shatter-proof etc. Not sure if there's a quality system in the USA, but I'd suspect that any mask you bought in a scuba diving or freediving store would be plenty adequate.

Bear in mind that your mask will (should!) always be equalised when scuba diving. That means there isn't much pressure impacting on the mask. If the mask wasn't equalised, you'd probably be the one to break before the mask (face squeeze).

If you don't mind me asking the question another way: What are the advantages/reasons why one would choose a high-volume (or... "non low-volume") mask?

Low volume = Easier to clear water from it. Easier to equalise (but most divers equalise masks unconsciously anyway).

High volume = Potentially wider field of vision and/or may be designed to accommodate certain face types (large noses, wide faces etc).

You can get quite low volume masks that do provide a good field of vision though. For instance, the Cressi Big Eyes and Mares X-Vision have sloping lenses, providing a good view down the divers' torso (very beneficial), but are relatively low volume and easy to clear.

Everyone,

Thank you for your responses.

Hawkeye

It may be best to go to a few shops and try on masks not thinking about the volume. Try on masks by gently pressing on face. If it forms a suction, it may fit. Check masks for field of view and optical clarity. Determine final fit, comfort, and performance in a swimming pool in case need to return

I use a medium volume SEADIVE TruVu RayBlocker. Great for long surface swims in the bright California sunshine, and excellent underwater optical clarity for our low Vis conditions and easy discrimination of quarry.

If you think a low volume mask you are considering may restrict your view, try this test.

Put on a large volume mask and look straight ahead. Now look down by only moving your eyes and remember what you see. Then look in all directions only moving your eyes. Now repeat the test with the low volume mask. I have done this often with students, and I believe it has been pretty universal that they felt the low volume mask gave a larger field of view. Imagine the angles of lines going from the eye to the edge of the mask and beyond. It will, of course vary by mask design, but if the edge of the mask is farther away from the eyes, as in a high volume mask, then the angle will be narrower.

I own three low volume masks from three different manufacturers, and every one of them gives me an excellent field of view.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom