low visibility

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

IMHO:

Until you and your buddy can perform all of your basic OW skills in low to zero viz, you have absolutely no reason to perform anything other than progressive training dives in these conditions. That means very shallow-water diving in silt-outs with your buddy. I remember lying in 4' of water in vegetation and muck thinking that I'm going to lose it. Air sharing or even switching regs is a B***H.

I have an LGS Blackwater I cert, no big deal, but strongly recommend a similar course to you. Tame, solid way to start building confidence and ability in these miserable conditions.

Stay safe,
lowviz

Edit: I re-read my earlier post to NWGratefulDiver, looks about as subtle as a thrown brick. Should have prefaced it with "OMG, No! -not at all what I meant to say"

To the OP: Please look / wait for better dive conditions while you get started.

Last edited:
how would you guys work the buddy system with 8" of visibility? thats what the visibility is around here it seems idk if it increses at deeper depth with a light but yeah how would i keep track of my buddy?

today i get to teach my future buddy the dive tables

Sorry,
I can not answer your question about diving in poor visibility; may I ask you however why you will teach your future buddy the dive tables (as opposed to taking a dive-course)?

Eight inches of viz is pretty common around here too. Side by side and physical contact works well. Important thing is to discuss your hand signals and communication BEFORE the dive. Ill have to 2ND the motion on slowing down as well. Don't forget the basics either. Seperated for more than a minute = Go to the surface and reconnect.

Glow stick.

Useless in low viz, and bad for the environment. I'd pass on a glow stick and go with a light.

Money aside, in really crappy viz, what really works is an HID can light around 21w or so. Effective for signally, getting buddies attention, and in worst case scenario will be bright enough to see the glow of "someone over there somewhere" if you're seperated.

If can light is too much $ a very good LED handheld will do in a pinch and are readilly available at decent price points.

buddy line is most common and safest. for waters i sometimes dive in torches are useless, because visibility is exactly 0. in that case we lay line on the bottom. we go down holding the line, and make slow progress. Leading diver does not move forward until buddy touches his hand on the rope. we use this method when we dive in river where buddy line is too risky for both divers.

Definitely figure out your communication strategy with your buddy on the surface. I've used a 6' tether to keep from becoming separated from my buddy and sometimes having a slate to write notes back and forth helps.

Vis under 1' (what I refer to in my dive log as "chunky") buddy lines, lights, and lots of physical contact.

Though under about 5' vis I'd suggest that new divers should just take a pass.

My son and I did a couple zero vis dives (yes, 8" equals zero in my book) for fun and navigation practice. We held hands and had a great time.

Note: We were somewhat experienced divers already and knew the sites.

With the experience level you mention, I think many people would consider a dive like that at this point a bad idea.

I have had a fair bit of experience teaching technical diving and cave courses in low visibility. For extremely low vis technical dives I use a reel, the same reel I would use for cave or wreck penetrations. Even for open water technical dives I will use a reel/guideline if the viz is near zero to help keep my group together. Although this can work well it needs to be attempted by someone with experience and training using these methods.

Using any type of line always presents us with a risk of entanglement, each diver should have at least one cutting tool (for recreational diving, two or more for tech). Before entering low vis situations, get practice using your methods on land. Dry trial runs gives you a chance to communicate and streamline your procedure before hand, I would also recommend diving in good vis using the same procedures until you are completely comfortable.

I guess the most important thing to do would be to get a local orientation by an instructor qualified to teach you the new skills and methodologies before you attempt them yourself. This way it will be safe and fun for you and your buddy.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom