Low Pressure Hose Leak

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Spimon

Contributor
Reaction score
My new wing came with a low pressure hose, but this new hose is leaking from the inflator end (not the first stage end).
There appears to be a valve in the end, similar to a bicycle valve, but bigger. My first guess is this valve isn't quite done up and it's leaking from there.

Now I have valve removing tools for car/bicycle valves, but this one is recessed back into the hose about 1/2" and bigger. Is there a tool similar to a really big/long valve remover to do this up? Is my LDS likely to have such a tool? Any other suggestions on how to do it up?

I'm still using my old LPI hose so it's not a huge problem but I'd like to have this one working as a spare.
I'd take it back to where I bought the wing, but that's quite a drive away for a non-vital issue.

Car parts bike parts same part longer tool. Rubbish Aqualung inflator, has a bigger valve.
I make mine out of stainless rod, a hacksaw and a drill.

My new wing came with a low pressure hose, but this new hose is leaking from the inflator end (not the first stage end).
There appears to be a valve in the end, similar to a bicycle valve, but bigger. My first guess is this valve isn't quite done up and it's leaking from there.

Now I have valve removing tools for car/bicycle valves, but this one is recessed back into the hose about 1/2" and bigger. Is there a tool similar to a really big/long valve remover to do this up? Is my LDS likely to have such a tool? Any other suggestions on how to do it up?

There is a specific tool, but usually you can tighten it with a very small/thin flat-head screwdriver. Lay it in next to the flat part you see in there and turn it to the right gently.

I'm assuming you mean it's leaking when not connected to the LPI. If it only leaks when connected to the valve you might have a different issue involving the LPI

If you're into DIY, go for it. But if you try to fix it and have a problem, you may have warranty issues. Since the LDS is far, call them and talk some turkey. Since they are the rep, it's their problem. Tell them you want express shipping (really, if your less then 100 miles, UPS Ground should deliver overnight). You want express repair once it gets into their repair department. I hope this helps. Since your have a relationship with the LDS, use 'honey' first. If they get rammy, go the 'hold on payment' route if you used your VISA. Not only does it hold up payment, it's a black mark against the merchant from the credit card company.

Not trying to sound like a problem customer, but you shouldn't have to go through this. I work in Sales, and I know what grease stops the squeeky wheel! Good luck.

It depends on the nature of the leak.

The inflater usually has a common Schraeder valve. As mentioned this is removed with an extended version of the tire valve tool. A problem with this will result in the the valve leaking when pressurized and not connected to a BC.

If you are getting a leak while in use there is a little o-ring in the connector bore that needs to be replaced. This is the ring that makes the seal around the connector stem. I don't have the number handy. Careful work with some good o-ring picks will get it out. A light film of silicone will help the replacement squirm into place.

Edit, Missed the "new" wing part. Unless you're into tinkering I agree with asking for support. I bet they just ship you a hose without question. You can then fix this one as a spare. :)

Pete

I made a mistake. I see now that you are in Sydney.............I don't know what freight company you guys use, but they must be similar to the United States company UPS (maybe a subsidarary?)

I spent three weeks in Austrailia a while back. We were mainly in Carlton, outside of Melbourne. Great place and people. Did fly up to Townsville, to go out for a week on Mike Ball's Spoilsport.

If you're into DIY, go for it. But if you try to fix it and have a problem, you may have warranty issues.
Unfortunately I have 'the urge'.... Most of my worldly possessions have been stripped down to their bare elements at some stage for no aparent reason. My diving stuff prob would have too, if I wasn't so worried that a spring/circlip or some other small and vital part will go flying off into the upper atmosphere and never be seen again. I tend to leave the 'keep me alive bits' in once piece. :)

Thanks for the help!
Yup it leaks when not connected to the wing. Didn't ever try it connected, swapped to the original LPI hose.

I can see the little o-ring inside, but frankly it looks like one of those things that is more trouble than its worth when it's under warranty.

It did turn slightly with a small screwdriver but not particularly confident with it. I'll ask the LDS when I'm next in for a fill. I'm sure they'd be willing to spare a 1/8 turn and 3 seconds.

Thanks again people :)

Unfortunately I have 'the urge'.... Most of my worldly possessions have been stripped down to their bare elements at some stage for no aparent reason. My diving stuff prob would have too, if I wasn't so worried that a spring/circlip or some other small and vital part will go flying off into the upper atmosphere and never be seen again. I tend to leave the 'keep me alive bits' in once piece. :)

Thanks for the help!
Yup it leaks when not connected to the wing. Didn't ever try it connected, swapped to the original LPI hose.

I can see the little o-ring inside, but frankly it looks like one of those things that is more trouble than its worth when it's under warranty.

It did turn slightly with a small screwdriver but not particularly confident with it. I'll ask the LDS when I'm next in for a fill. I'm sure they'd be willing to spare a 1/8 turn and 3 seconds.

Thanks again people :)

That valve seals to the side of the opening with an o-ring type seal so it is not dependent on being fully tight. If it leaks because the valve is loose, then it should not even connect to the inflator as it would stick out too far. In fact, a slightly loose valve should seal just fine but pushing it into the connection will be difficult or impossible. It is more likely that there may be some dirt interfering with the seal or that one of the sealing surfaces is defective. In that it is under warranty, I'd go for the free replacement. If it were not under warranty or if the shop is OK with a DIY attempted repair, I'd use a small flat screwdriver to tighten the valve initially. If that did not work, I'd remove the valve and clean the surfaces before reinstalling. If it still leaks, a replacement valve is fairly cheap. If still no joy, it is time to replace the hose.

The o-ring you see only come into play when it is connected to the inflator. And it is a bit of a challenge to replace. That challenge is made quite a bit easier if the valve is removed first to give you more room to work.

Go to a bicycle shop and pick up a shraeder valve tool and that should fix your problem.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom