low-end dry suits

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scubakat

Reaction score
Alright... here I go a again :). My used drysuit is not working out (no surprise there). Now I am shopping for a new one in the under $1000 USD range. I want a basic shell suit. It does not have to be self-donning. I want to be able to add dry gloves & hood at a later time. I want reinforced knees & the ability to add a pocket. I am undecided on the feet, an integrated boot vs. "rock boot" style. Here are the options I have found...

Mobby's Sport Shell (Trilam I think)

and

Bare Nex-Gen Dry (made of a new and strange rubber material).

I have ruled out OS Systems and USIA.

I am particularly interested in finding divers who use the Bare suit. Both suits are about the same price, but the Bare would include the undergarmet, but not boots. It fits and seems just too good to be true. I don't expect an inexpensive suit to last forever, but I would like to get at least two years out of it (300-400 dives). I dive at least 2 days per week & want to be dry & comfortable in an affordable suit! Help!

Any thoughts? Other suits to consider?

thanks as always!!!

-kate

I've heard great things about Mobbys suits. My local shop swears by them. So much so that they dropped their DUI dealership after their new found love for the Mobbys suits. You can get them with intergrated boots or with a sealed latex sock. Most everyone around here goes for the sock, but they aren't diving extremely cold temps either. You could step it up a notch above the Sport shell and get the new design with the 2 completely separate suits for another $500. Those suits look really nice. You can switch the shell when it wears out and still have the drysuit.

I like the Abyss Pro Kevlar suit (www.abyssdivingsuits.com). You can pick up a custom suit for $1500CAN (near $1000US) including shipping from a place in Toronto called Tam Dive (www.tamdive.com). It's nothing short of awesome for wreck diving.

Mike

Thanks Warhammer & Lost Yooper. Mobby's number one dealer is just down the road from me. One good thing about Mobby's is that they will put the right size boot on a stock suit & that does not make it a custom suit. I really don't want a neoprene suit & do do not plan to dive caves or wrecks in the lofetime of the suit. I wish I could find someone who uses that Bare suit to get an opinion! I have not tried on the Mobby's suit yet, but I will do it next week.

thanks again!
kate

A friend has one with cuff rings and it leaks in a different spot every time he uses it. Another friend tried it and it did the same to him. I'm not sure what model it was though.
Would you consider a Viking. I think you could get one for around $900 for the Pro 1000 series. Mite take a couple of weeks for me to get it in though. If interested e me your sizes. Need height and chest and shoe. I'll see what's available. Oh, it would come with a hood.
Mverick160@aol.com

That's a great price on the Viking. Vikings are known for not leaking. They are easily repairable in the field, dry quickly, and are relatively tough. The Pro 1000 is my second choice of suit followed very closely by the DUI suits. The price of both the Viking and DUI are often prohibitive at close to $2000 locally.

I'd jump on that price if I didn't like my Abyss so much.

They have a few if you fit the sizes they have for really great prices. 1,2,4 no size 3's. Viking is behind in there production now so if I order direct from them it would be August before they'd come in. If they have one in your size it would take about 2 weeks to come in. I'm about to place an order so I found out about them.
I dive a Gates though. The VSN 1100. Like the stretch in the material. I'll be ordering a 1500HD for myself though.

That Aerdura suit looks exactly like the Gates model..Gates makes suits for different companies. I was wondering about the Aqualung Nordic Pro. It looks like a good suit and it's about $580.00 dollars US at SimplyScuba in the U.K>

Hi everyone, thanks for all of your feedback! Mverick, Please see the email that I sent you for my measurements. What a scremin' deal that would be! My buddies would be sooooo envious! I have a friend who dives a Gates & says that his left leg is usually wet up to the thigh... I am going to give my used suit one more try today to see if the repairs I made will hold me for another month or so. Other wise I'll be back to reting a wetsuit till I can get dry again.

-kate

Back
Top Bottom