Lovers Cove Dive Report

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
Data dump:

Lover's Cove, Pacific Grove CA
Monday 9/1/03 11:00 a.m.
Swell zero to 1 ft at 30 sec intervals
Wind zero
Waves zero
Current zero
Outside temp 75^F
Water temp 54^F
Water clarity clear to greenish
Vis underwater 15 to 20 ft opening to 30 ft outside the kelp bed
Observed Spot the Spotted Harbour Seal, cabezon, olive rock fish, black ocean perch, juvenile treefish, sand dabs, small crabs, chitons, small abalone shells, california cowrys, bat stars, sun stars, green anemonies, etc.

Narrative:

I took my sweetie for her first open water scuba dive to Lover's, an appropriately named site. She had learned about all she could in a confined pool environment, so it was time to give her a chance to experience real buoyance in a real ocean.

Lover's Cove is a prefect spot for student divers because it is extremely calm most of the time, fairly shallow for a long way out, and jam-packed with beautiful multi-coloured undersea life.

It was thrilling to experience all the fish, shellfish, starfish, anemonies, kelp, sea grass as the sunshine beamed down through the water in emerald columns of light. We had previously done two freedive trips together, one of which was for abalone. This was her first chance to swim underwater for 35 minutes at a time without having to surface for a new breath of air like in freediving.

We got to the beach at the cove there early, and were the first ones to set up our tarp. We chose a peaceful spot near the northeast end of the beach, hauled down our gear from the car, and then rested on the tarp while we waited for the sunshine to break through the morning fog.

During the morning progression of beach visitors, we first watched a group of local swimmers in their 3mm wetsuits and hoods (but no gloves nor boots nor fins) swim for their morning recreation and exercise. Brrrr!

Next came a few kayakers to set up and launch their two-seater kayaks. The Malibu-Two seemed to be a very popular choice.

A group of Australian or New Zealand scuba divers next showed up with a slew of rented gear for their group. They dove from the south-west end of the beach, where the sign says scuba divers are NOT supposed to be. Oh well. Everyone seems to like Australians and New Zealanders, because they talk so uniquely, and nobody complained.

The families with their kids and beach blankets began to show up just as the sun was beginning to peek through the cloud layer. Beautiful women and muscular men eventually began to dot the beach with their beach towels as well. By the time our scuba dive was through, there was quite a cacophony of noise and music and people all over the beach.

All eyes were on us as we exited the water in our scuba gear, dropped our tanks and B/Cs on our tarp, then went back into the water together to snorkel over to the rocks where Spot the Spotted Seal usually hangs out.

When I teach people to scuba dive, I always teach them that they are freedivers first, and scuba divers second. Its a lesson I learned myself 30 years ago as a brand new NAUI open water diver. Its a lesson that was reinforced to me during my own NAUI ITC. Its a lesson I believe in whole heartedly, and which I teach as well. Its a lessom my sweetie is learning right now.

We will get married soon and will honeymoon to Hawaii and scuba dive there. In the meantime, diving together at Lover's Cove on the Monday holiday that culminated the end of summer along the Monterey coast was fantastic.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom