Love the Jet fins, but what the Hell?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

im a size 11 and fit perfectly in a large one. tried the xl and it was to large. the depth of the large is a bit short but the width fits perfectly. added spring heels and problem solved.

There are a few different solutions to all of the problems listed. If held in a position for long enough, Jet Fins form to a new memory. I have learned this from having mine thrown into a closet only to come out tweaked. I fixed this by laying them on the sun for a few hours.
Solution #1. Place inserts into the jet fins to increase the height and reduce the width of the foot pocket. You will likely have to DIY your own inserts.

Solution #2. Try some different boot styles. A molded sole boot is going to be wider than a boot without a molded sole. Also, I know with my jets, with an XL jet my molded sole boots fit great, even tight side to side, but my other boots are sloppy side to side and I needed to go down to a large.

I hope that some of this stuff works. These were options that have worked for me, and hopefully I can help others here.

RDP:
Let me start by saying I love the Jet fins. I have had a time getting the right fit. My foot is size 12. When diving wet, I have to wear a very light booty to fit correctly into the XL Jet Fins. When diving dry, the attached boot is way too big for the XL and way too small for the XXL. My current solution is to shim the inside with a closed-cell rubber. This works, but it falls into the "rigging" catagory. I don't really like this hack fix. I tried Turtle fins. They seemed to fit a little better, but they feel stiffer than the Jets. I have not tried the Rocket fins yet. Any suggestions? Anybody heard of X1/2XL? :wink:

There plenty of manufacturers Jetfin alikes. Somebody said having poor copies, but there are also better ones too. Anyway the sizing differs a bit. If you choose to use the original brand consider chancing boots in your DS to thicker ones to get XXL size to fit properly...

RDP:
Let me start by saying I love the Jet fins. I have had a time getting the right fit. My foot is size 12. When diving wet, I have to wear a very light booty to fit correctly into the XL Jet Fins. When diving dry, the attached boot is way too big for the XL and way too small for the XXL. My current solution is to shim the inside with a closed-cell rubber. This works, but it falls into the "rigging" catagory. I don't really like this hack fix. I tried Turtle fins. They seemed to fit a little better, but they feel stiffer than the Jets. I have not tried the Rocket fins yet. Any suggestions?

Anybody heard of X1/2XL? :wink:

You are not going to believe this, but this is exactly what happened to me yesterday. I just switched from the XXL jetfins that would not fit with my drysuit to XXL Turtles and they fit better but what options do I have? I guess we be learning together :crafty:

Thanks everyone for your input. I like my fins snug. There might be something to reshaping the XL fins. The XXL fins are too large in height and width. I don't think they would be a good reshaping candidate. My dry setup has the boots integrated. I'm not too keen on cutting them off.

I have the XL size jets and can only wear a 3mm bootie. A 5mm will cause the nerve on top of my foot to be pinched and I loose feeling in my foot after 20 minutes. So I stick with the thin booties.

A diver I know is in between XL and XXL so he uses a bigger boot but wears nice thick socks also. I asked him if that wasn't too much hassle to keep to a kind of fin but he said the socks made it even more comfortable. He thinks everyone should try it especially when diving multipple dives and multiple days.

Just something to think about. Don't think this falls under rigging because even if you had to take off your fin underwater, you coould put it back on the same as any other diver.

RDP:
Let me start by saying I love the Jet fins. I have had a time getting the right fit. My foot is size 12. When diving wet, I have to wear a very light booty to fit correctly into the XL Jet Fins. When diving dry, the attached boot is way too big for the XL and way too small for the XXL. My current solution is to shim the inside with a closed-cell rubber. This works, but it falls into the "rigging" catagory. I don't really like this hack fix. I tried Turtle fins. They seemed to fit a little better, but they feel stiffer than the Jets. I have not tried the Rocket fins yet. Any suggestions?

Anybody heard of X1/2XL? :wink:

You're probably going to have to go with IDI turtles. I wear a size 8 rock boot and needed XL jetfins. They seem to run really small, as I used to wear M fins with my wetboots. IMO, any foot size over a 10, won't be able to fit rock boots into the Jets.

J.

DennisW:
I haven't had your problems fortunately, but I am pretty sure you won't like the Rocket Fins. They are a poor attempt at copying Jets. I wear size 9 1/2 EEEE shoes, so the width is not a problem, but they are a little loose length wise, which I actually like. I've never had them come off, so that's good. When I finally found boots that fit (regular wet suit boots, not for a dry suit), I had to switch from Large to XL Jets. My new boots would not fit in the Large Jets.

Are the rockets really bad? I was having a tough time getting into any of the others and any that almost fit were very uncomfortable. Some one suggested I try the Rocket II as they have been altered to make up for some of the short comings of other models. But... If they suck then nevermind!
Let me know.

Back
Top Bottom